Nicon 2010, Battle report now added

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Nicon 2010, Battle report now added

Post by valleyboy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:09 am

North Island Convention NZ
RTE demo game 15mm
Well its set up for tomorrow gents:-
Somewhere in Spain 1812, not long after Wellington's army captured Badajoz

British briefing starts.....

2/6/1812
General Picton
I trust Sir that your men are sufficiently recovered from their exploits at Badajoz. The great bravery of the 3rd Division I’m afraid is only matched by its reputation for truculence and excess on the morrow of an engagement. I am told that several score were flogged and a good many scoundrels hanged following the night of the 19th.
Nevertheless my dear fellow I am certain that you have once again restored discipline and so must beseech you to march your division to Merida at once for I am certain that general Cuesta shall soon be sorely pressed if the reports of the pickets of the light dragoons have not deceived me.......

(omitted so as not to give the game away to the French)

One must just trust to God and constantly look to the flank and in all earnest hope that these Spaniards will find their solace and their salvation not in the surrounding hills but rather in their powder and their steel.
Sir, saddled you may be with the most tempestuous and fickle of allies but yet I take heart as I am assured general that on the morrow that Stapleton – Cotton and............

Sire, our position is undesirable yet we must make the best of it. Once more I trust in your steadfastness
The honourable
General sir Rowland Hill

Merida

French briefing
2/6/1812
Monsieur Le General Maximilien Foy
Monsieur I bid you good day and pray that you have recovered from your wounds. In the name of the Emperor I entreat you to make haste and march your division to Merida.
Merida is a small town on the northern bank of the Guadiana only a day’s march east of Badajoz and at this moment only occupied by General Cuesta and his detestable Spanish rabble. The town itself of course is of little consequence but is the key to preventing General Wellesley from crossing the Guadiana and threatening our flank from the South. You Monsieur le General must .......

Take heart Monsieur le General for the Merida valley is wide and fertile and will allow you the best disposition of your troops.....

General de Brigade Margaux and the 26th regiment of chasseurs have already reconnoitred the area and report only contact with Spanish piquets. Should General Picton and his 3rd division appear I have no great fear and earnestly believe that we shall be victorious in a general engagement for we have the good fortune of ........

Let us therefore seize this opportunity and reverse the defeat of Badajoz
Sincerely

Marshall – General Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult
Duc de Dalmatia

Allied army will occupy the left side of the field and the French the right
Last edited by valleyboy on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 am

Kerry,

Looking splendid! Can't wait for the game report and photos! Have a BALL! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 am

Kerry,

That looks magnificient. I can't wait to see pictures of it filled with troops.

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Looks good VB hope you have a great day with plenty of interest in your game.

Will you make it over for the October weekender?

Bob
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 am

Gents I hope to post more pics tomorrow, but now I have to attend the after match function here in about 10 minutes and I've been trying to help my wife rather than download pics as she's been slaving over a hot stove all day
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 am

NICON June 2010

The scenario was based in the Peninsula in 1812, timed a few weeks after Badajoz. The OOBs of some of the divisions present at Salamanca were used but the unit strengths rounded up on a 1:20 scale. The reason for this was to keep things reasonably simple but also to give the game a good visual impact by using lots of figures whilst not fielding too many units.

This meant the French battalions were 36 figures strong, the Spanish 32figs, Portuguese 30 and the British either 30 or 40 figures strong, with cavalry units generally at 24figures/ unit.

We took the liberty of replacing one French infantry brigade with Italians just to break the sea of blue.

Ants worked on the unit quality but we really wanted the Spanish to be of poor quality and tried to tailor this to a scenario where the French would have the greater numbers and the Allies insufficient troops to cover the 12 x6 table.

We did prepare a reserve division for both sides that could be used in the event should the game not have been big enough for 2 days gaming (we needn’t have worried though). We also had a curve ball to throw at Craig the Allied C in C on turn 1, but more of that later.

I took command of the bulk of the Spanish and 1 British infantry division, Craig Watterson took Picton’s division, the British cavalry and 1 independent Spanish Brigade.

On the French side Anthony (Captain Chook) and Von Peter Himself (Peter Hazeldos) took command of a Cavalry Division and 2 Infantry divisions each. Craig and Peter drove the 7 odd hours up from Wellington to play their first game of RTE.

Essentially the French were meant to secure the road/town on the left of the table: -

The on table forces turned out to be: -
British: C in C General Rowland Hill + 4MP (no transfer of MPs possible to the Spanish)

Picton’s division – 4 battalions 30 figs, 2 x40, 18 rifles & 4 x 30 figs Portuguese & 18 Cacadores

Campbell’s division – 4 x40 2x30 & Skirmishers
British cavalry 2x24 dragoons: 3x24 Light Dragoons/Hussars
4 batteries

Spanish – 1 mixed Division of 8x32 infantry, 2x24 heavy cavalry, 1x16 Light cavalry and 1 battery

Spanish independent Brigade – 4 Battalions infantry, 1 x 16 Lancer 1 battery

French: C in C Marshal Soult +6 MP

33 infantry battalions of 36 figs in 4 divisions each with a battery
Light cavalry division: 6 x24 hussars/chasseurs, 1 x3 gun horse artillery battery

Heavy cavalry division: 3 x 24 dragoons, 1 x24 Lancers (just for variety!), 1 x3 gun horse artillery battery

The figures used were quite a mix of AB, Battle Honours, Fantassin, Minifigs mainly 2nd generation, 1 battalion of Old Glory, Gladiator games (now Black hat) and Museum Miniatures. Buildings were either Hovels, JT Miniatures or Mayhem (Now from Eureka).

We used TSS boards, some sculpted hills and made a few items of scenery including the vineyards and rocky outcrops.

Battery footprints were made from pieces of neoprene coated with sand/gravel and cut to size for 3 or 4 guns. Ants ingeniously made the battery ammo markers from ball bearings and some magnetic unit markers by using thin magnetic sheet and what he calls “iron paint”.

The Spanish were deployed in the large BUA on the British right flank, the Portuguese in the BUA on the left flank with Picton’s and Campbell’s brigade on the centre left, 2 horse batteries on the right centre hill and the cavalry on the right centre.

The independent Spanish brigade was in the tiny BUA forward of the British position (the windmill) and General Hill hoped that they would act as a speed bump for the initial French attack

The French were deployed more or less according to the divisions they were allocated with the French light cavalry on the right flank and the dragoons more or less in the centre. Anthony took the French Right flank and Peter the left. The table was set up with the river Guadiana securing the Spanish right or French left.

The game begins and starts with a curve ball

The British allowed the French the initiative and so they came forward in the same old way.
When it was the British turn to move Craig received the following message: -
General –‘Sir I regret to inform you that General Jimenez is marching his troops from the field. He claims they are exhausted and so are unable to fight’.

(And therein gentlemen, is the tale of Craig’s intended speed bump – it was no more!

The intention of this umpire act was to give the British commander some added difficulties from turn 1 by perhaps maybe creating a - in the line. He’d not been given any choice in their initial placement and playing Spanish I’d kept it quiet and been deliberately obtuse and unhelpful when he’d asked my advice in the initial deployment. A bit risky as I’d only met him for the first time around 30 minutes earlier but he took it in good part. Admittedly though he kept on enquiring as to whether he could shoot them as they marched through his divisional lines and I think only decided not to do this when advised that it might make the rest of the Spanish disappear)

Now mind you, it wasn’t only Craig that was upset by this, the Highlanders weren’t too pleased I can tell you and showed the Spanish what they thought of them as they were running back

Other British infantry just stood there looking solid

And so the French came on in the same old way

But Gentlemen, General Hill wasn’t having any of that-so it was out with the cavalry

(Now at this point I should probably that I have never seen such aggressive use of cavalry and that leads me to conclude that Craig would probably be a good man to have on your side if you were ever in a fist fight :lol: )

We’d decided to threaten a few of the Peter’s advancing infantry battalions and to slow him down so out sallied the Spanish dragoons.

French squares were duly formed and there was some cannon fire – The Spanish played with their cannons and sent a battalion backwards, hurrah

Problem was, the French played with their cannons as well and so sallied back the dragoons! ( :oops: err to be honest more of a rout than a sally and pinned the other Spanish cavalry behind it :roll:

The next move or so saw the British Heavy Dragoons come forward and hook left catching battalions of the French right wing unprepared and unable to react

However Ants’ wobbly knees were bolstered when Craig I think threw a less than murderous 5 hits on 19 dice and the combat ended in a draw
By this time some of the French cavalry were thrown forward to counter the threat

What is left of the dragoon regiment from its heroic charge can be seen in the above picture

By this time the French advance had gained momentum and was pressing ahead on the left

And also pressing ahead on the right

The French light cavalry charged the British and Portuguese in line (I think – it was on the other flank and I had my hands - trying to stop the Spanish running!)

They bounced off the lines I’m told 8)

But not the artillery :cry:

Yes Gentlemen, for the first time in the history of Napoleonic wargaming a newly painted unit did what it was painted for and rode to glory (AB Hussars). Yes remember Folks, history was made at Nicon and you read it here first 8)

A French 12ib battery (yes 12ib – where did they get that from and where did it come from?) poured murderous fire into the British line (3 pictures ago bottom right)

The 24th Warwickshire broke under the onslaught but Craig pushed forward the men in miniskirts with the funny accents

A whole (without the w - swear filter again) seemed to be appearing in the British right

However consensus was that both sides were still evenly matched
Meanwhile on the other flank it was looking grim for the Spanish and they were being pushed back

They weren’t too happy in the vineyards

Then there was a surfeit of brown trousers to be seen in the town as 5 French battalions came knocking on the door, they were met by a lukewarm fire reducing a possible 36 combat groups to 30 vs. the few that the Spanish could get together with all their negative modifiers

They didn’t get in the first time so the Grenadiers de Leon prepared to add their weight in the next round when............................

A man from the stage said it was time to pack up and head home for the after match function but that’s another story folks!

My thanks to Ants, Peter & Craig for a good days gaming and lovely company

We bit off more than we could chew and were slow because of our unfamiliarity with the rules and probably made a few errors with them here and there but I really did enjoy myself :D
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for your help in the lead up Barry
I've taken the liberty of posting the same thing on the WD3 forum and hope you don't mind
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 am

Looks like a fantastic game and you got a good bit done of the scenario.. top stuff! 8) 8)

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am

Great looking game and it sounds as if everyone enjoyed themselves which is the main point about wargaming, in my view.

Cheers
Dave
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks Kerry. It was great to meet Peter and Craig.
Unfortunately, we did bite off more than we could chew and perhaps should have played with about a third fewer units.
We thought a full 6x12 table would be too big so placed the river and hills on the flanks, cutting the table down to 9 feet. This caused a lot of problems with future deployment as units were rather cramped.

However, a fun game. The most exciting part being the British cavalry charge in the centre where real mischief could have been done. Likewise there was a real opportunity with the French light cavalry vs British in line as a retreat or rout ot the lead unit would have sent it back through the following two units that were following a little too close.

A good learning experience for all involved. Perhaps expect a few more questions :cry:

Of course, we wouldn't have to ask questions if Barry and/or David came down this way for agame :lol:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Ha Ha!!... I wish!

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Captain Chook wrote:Thanks Kerry. It was great to meet Peter and Craig.
And it was great to meet Anthony and Kerry too! Kerry and I have exchanged electrons on several forums over the years so it was nice to finally meet in person.

Craig and I survived the drive back. We even detoured to go via Napier which added a little time but had the benefits of allowing a house call, of missing some of the rain and of avoiding the worst of the traffic (on SH1 near Wellington).

We both enjoyed our wargaming weekend away and want to thank our two gaming hosts for being splendid upright characters who knew how to show the out of towners a damned fine time. And FWIW, I thought our table was easily the stand out of the convention.

Huge plaudits also to Kerry's (much!) better half for putting on a wonderful post game meal for us all. Top shelf home made cuisine accompanied by quality liquid refreshments (as befits senior commanders of course) and invigorating discussion (where did you find that Richard Aussie character?! :lol: ).

As far as the rules went - playing our first game with RTE veterans (of a few games anyway :wink: ) gave us a huge foot up in our understanding. Now I need to read the rules again to cement the learnings and mull a few things over. More queries for Barry &/or Clarence eventually perhaps! :roll:

I need to bestir myself and do some sort of writeup myself as well ... hopefully before the aging brain cells holding the memories die off. :shock:

Oh, and did the game/gamers make the paper? :twisted:

The gamers of Tauranga ... we salute you! :D

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am

Questions ALWAYS welcome.. :D

Henry Ford
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 am

I've been outed as a wargamer, there is no way I'm going out or to work for a few weeks - but hell - does anyone know what tanks we were using :roll:

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/local ... n/3915421/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 pm

I suspect nobody on the Bay of Plenty Times will be nominated for a Pulitzer or any other prize on the basis of that little piece.... :shock:

Precisely was is a 'cavalry of horses'?

Go on, tell us:

1. Was the Journo under 25?
2. Male or female?
3. Did they actually attend NiCon?
4 Do your family still speak to you?

Henry Ford