Short notice game at FLGS--scenario questions

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Short notice game at FLGS--scenario questions

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Clarence, Barry,

I've been given the opportunity to put on an Revolution to Empire game
at the local game store in San Antonio on Sunday the 15th of August. As
such, I don't have a lot of time to make up a scenario and test it in
any way, so I'm going to use your Historicon scenario.

I've got a couple questions, if you would be so indulgent.

First, in your reports you mention some units being better and worse. Do
you have a list of the Quality you used?

It sounds like you may have had the brigadiers "keep" their MPs. Is that
correct, or did you let the Division commander apportion them as if he
were a single player?

Finally, do you have any suggestions for me to keep in mind, now that
you played the game several times?

Thanks,
Ed
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Great, Ed!

In our game we let Brigadiers keep their MP for two reasons:

1. To keep it simple for new players.
2. To allow as many players as possible, we had 'brigades' of 2-3 units. Allowing five brigades worth of MP's to spent per the rules for a game involving around 10 units a side would have produced too many points.

If you are running the game for four to five people per side, you should use this convention. If you have two or three players per side use the normal rules.

I will try to give you some more details and tips, as well as answer any other questions that might come up, but I have some pesky real world issues bothering me for time so I'll write some more ASAP...
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 am

Ok - we actually made up the quality of the units on the fly (is that not something I should have revealed?) when commands were handed out. Here is a typical orbat:

Third Division, Craufurd
(Gifted)

Light Brigade
43rd Light (30) Drilled
52nd Light (30) Drilled
95th Rifles (30) Veteran Elite

Donkin's Brigade
88th Line (36) Drilled
74th Line (24) Drilled
45th Line (24) Drilled
60th Rifles (12 skirmishers) Veteran

Attached Cavalry
1st KGL (12) Veteran Elite
RHA battery (2 guns) Veteran

Spanish Brigade
2 Battalions (24) Drilled
half battery of foot artillery (2 guns) Drilled

Loison's Division Command by Marshal Ney
(Gifted)

First Brigade
26th Line (2 battalions, 36 each) One Veteran, One Drilled
Legion Hannoverienne (2 battalions, 30 each) Drilled
Legion du Midi (24) Recruits

Second Brigade
32nd Light (24) Veteran Elite
66th Line (2 battalions, 36 each) Drilled
82nd Line (30) Drilled
50th Line (24) Recruits

Attached Cavalry
5th Hussars (12) Veteran Elite

Divisional Artillery
1 battery (4 guns) Veteran

You could easily change this, but you want mostly Drilled with a few variations. The brigade commands were diced for and you could even dice for the C-in-C's as both Craufurd and Ney had their off days. Again depending on the number of players, you may need to split up the commands. In this order the British have four brigades and the French only two (the Hussars don't generate MP's as a single unit) - but the British only start with the Spanish and part of the rest of their command on the table - it varied from game to game. The others march on when the GM decides and two out of three games, Donkin's brigade never made it (and were not needed). Also in two out of three games Craufurd was not on the board at the start and the Spanish Brigadier, Montoya, was considered the ranking officer with his random roll!

I'm off to work but will add more tonight...
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Ok, more wisdom on the way, but can you tell me what the time limit on your game is likely to be? It makes a difference as far as balancing the scenario goes...
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Clarence,

Thank you for all your help.

I have the room from noon to six, but will need to include set-up in
that. I was planning on "advertising" the time to be 1 pm until 5:30.

I have a 6 x 8 table, but on this short notice I won't be bringing quite
as pretty a set up as yours!

Ed
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Great! The three hour time limit was pushing it, especially since we had to fit in about 45 minutes worth of teaching as we went. The Brits won all three times, but the tide always seemed on the verge of changing to the French as the time ran out.

Originally I designed the scenario with three brigades for the French, but there simply wasn't time to get another 60-100 models painted! If you want to have all of the Brits on the table from the outset, I recommend adding another three or four battalions of French if you have them available.

If you want to use the force as listed above, you will do best to hold most of the British off the table, maybe deploying advanced elements like the rifle units as we did for our second and third games. In fact, in both of those games, Donkin's Brigade was never brought on because the allies seemed to be doing fine without them. As I said, though, as the time limit ran out the French looked to be on the verge of overwhelming the defenders. Ideally, the remaining British would be arriving just as the French manage to scatter the initial defenders.

Besides the bridge, there needs to be one or two fords - while the existence of the fords will be known by the French, they will not know the location of the crossings and need to search the banks with light infantry or cavalry. In fact, the British may not even know where they are until one of the officers can link up with Delahoya for a turn unless you deploy forward elements.

There are so many variables, you will have to adjust things as they develop. If the French find an unguarded ford and pour across on turn two, move up the arrival of the remaining British. I think the main thing is that both sides feel like they have a chance to win and by keeping some things to yourself, you can influence the tide of the game to keep it close and make it exciting to the end.

Hope that helps - If you have any more questions I'll try to answer them if I can!
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 am

:D Again, thank you.

Did you use the "no MPs to maintain an order" variant mentioned in the latest WI?

Right now I can easily put enough units on the table, although the Spanish will be Portuguese! I think I will keep it small, though, both from your experience and to prevent my megalomania from kicking in too hard!

Ed
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:15 am

Ed Youngstrom wrote: Did you use the "no MPs to maintain an order" variant mentioned in the latest WI?
No - that rule is for games with one or two brigades per side. I use that to run small battles on a 4x6' table. The rules should be as per the book with the exception of the convention I mentioned above... if you have 4-5 players per side (and thus smaller brigades) you might choose to let each brigade keep the MP's it generates and have the C-in-C parcel out his bonus MP's as desired (if in range to do so). This seems to work well with new players. If you end up with 2-3 players per side, keep the brigades as listed and total the MP's as normal.