R2E First Play Report (Small Engagement)

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Curt

R2E First Play Report (Small Engagement)

Post by Curt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Hello,

For those who may be interested I've posted a 'first play' report of our recent foray into Republic to Empire on my blog:

http://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com/

The scenario I put on is a amalgamation of Mr. Harrison's small-unit action (kindly provided on his blog) and some bits of inspiration from our recent trip to Portugal and Spain. We used this same basic setup for a Black Powder playthrough as well (which is also reported on).

We had a great time with R2E and are looking forward to our next game in the New Year.

Happy Christmas to you All!

Curt
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:04 pm

A very nice battle report of this scenario. I am preparing a similar one based in the 1813 Campaing (because I have a growning collection of Calpe´s Prussians) but I need to work hard in the rulebook understanding. Sometime, there is a lot of text and it is difficult to find the real rule I´m looking for; other times, the examples have much more information that the rule paragraph... Fortunately, after some reading and test over the table, it is very easy to understand the mechanisms. It is a very good rulebook, and I expect to see more scenarios and battle reports in this forum.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Curt whilst of course not agreeing with your charge of verbosity :wink: I accept that some gamers just want to see the mechanic in isolation with no explanatory notes. My reasons for the explanations may be seen as self indulgent by you and your mates but I believe that for ever Curt there is another player out there who wants to know 'why' something is so. The actual rules are relatively straightforward as I think more and more players are finding once they have played a game. The whole idea of the playsheet was to short circuit the need to constantly refer to the book.
I am pleased you are enjoying the game play.. that is what it is all about.

From my point of view.. mission accomplished
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Curt

Post by Curt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Oh, I think we all want explanatory notes, in fact I ask for more at the end of my 'review', but I think players also want explanations which are both brief and concise. It is my suspicion that it is this density of text which is the source of much of the 'pushback' to the rules (at least by my reading on the net).

But this is neither here nor there - merely the matter of opinion. As you say I hope more players give them a go as they certainly 'bloom' after playing. I applaud your hard work and thank you for giving us a great set of rules in which to play 'The Beautiful Game'.

Best,

Curt