Which theatre of Naps is most appealing for R2E players?

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Which part of the Naps period attracts you most for R2E games?

Revolutionary Period 1790 -1800
10%
1800 - 1806 The Austerlitz - Jena period
5%
1806-1809 The Wagram Period
10%
The Peninsular
24%
The Campaign of 1812
17%
Befreiungskriege & Fall of France 1813-1814
20%
100 Days Campaign 1815
15%

Total votes: 41
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am

There it is again,

An Austrian native, capable to speak some kind of german :wink: , has to write with a German on a scottish forum in english :shock:

No, the research isnt quite the problem. The Truth is I am not quite fond of the achievments of Arms of the Austria Army of that period. Besides as I stated somewhere else in this forum, History is allways written by the winners, so the French are allways the bad guys and the Austrian only the victims. Victims who held up there hands for British gold to fight another war with Napoleons Legions. Wars which finaly led 1811 to the complete bankruptcy of the Austrian Empire.
Sure the reading of the diaries of certain individuals who fought there would show the matter in another light but as I said earlier it is not my time of interest.

Cheers
Günter
Qurchi Bashi

Post by Qurchi Bashi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I voted for the Wagram period, although I'd happily play any of the others.

I agree with Ney, the politics around the 1809 campaign do not show the Austrian court in good light. But I am interested in the period for gaming, and I like (and am slowly painting) the white coated masses with seasoning of colourful Grenz and Freikorps of the Austrian army.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

MarechalNey wrote: ...Reading my own lines I get the feeling that there are some drops of Neys hot tempered blood flowing in my venous :oops:

Sorry Gents

Günter
Günter

You are truly a man after my own heart. 8)

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 am

voted for 1812 becuase of the breadth of forces involved
1814 is probably the best option as a French player though as you really do get a chance to use "The Guard"
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Although the sample is relatively small I find the poll results (so far) rather curious.

I certainly expected the later campaigns to be the more popular but I hadn’t expected 1813-14 to be quite as popular as it is – compared say to 1812, or especially the Peninsula. (Although valleyboy’s comment about being able to use the Guard makes a lot of sense from the French perspective for 1813-14).

But like Günter, the big surprise for me is the apparent lack of interest in the ‘Glory Years’ of 1805-1806. I would have thought all armchair Napoleons would have been dying to have a crack at leading the Grande Armée in some of its finest hours. So is it more a reflection of ‘intimidated’ opponets, reluctant to raise opposing Austrian or Prussian forces for 1805-6 in the belief that it will always be too one sided and hard to win?

I’m probably guilty of reading too much into a humble poll, but on the off chance that I am right I think it is a shame that more people are not interested in France’s much maligned opponents of 1805-06. After all, there wasn’t a lot wrong with the 1806 Prussian army aside from poor leadership (which the table top general can of course put right!) and even the 1805 Austrians – in spite of Mack’s ill timed reforms – might well have put up much more of an effective fight without the added handicap of Mack’s leadership in the field (something else the gamer can put right).

Mind you, having said all that – I naturally voted for the Revolutionary period!
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 pm

I have been a little surprised too :shock: I had half expected to see Peninsular and 100 Days swamp it out but really quite fascinating the 1812-1814 period has dominated so far.

I wonder how much it has to do with figure availability and of course scale has not been mentioned but I suspect in the context of the question relating to R2E weekenders most people must be thinking 28
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm not surprised at all. The campaigns in France in 1814 saw Napoleon back to his old peak and there are so many opponents involved it has to be one of the most diverse years in Napoleonic history.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes agree with Jim, I think its the variety of nationalities involved and also watching the French army evolve from the calamity of 1812 & Leizig, through the Marie - Louise period to eventually becoming an almost veteran army again, due in the main to fighting for France's survival.

Plus a great mixture of old & new uniforms, and the British fighting on French soil.

Bob
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 pm

I personally would love to do the 1806 campaign using R2E. I think the Prussians, if led properly, could face the French on even terms. But since I've got a boat load of Elite Revolutionary figures I need to have a reason to use them so R2E for the French Revolutionary period made sense to me.
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:36 am

Since many see the need to justify their voting behaviour :D ...

I was an early voter for 1813-1814, but really the vote was for 1813.
  • - multiple armies on both sides
    - not many units missing from the active lists
    - a very active year historically with many battles over multiple fronts
    - both sides have many new/rebuilt units learning their trade during the campaign so that there are units of varying qualities to add variety
    - overall the sides are fairly balanced for much of the year - both sides win some and loose some
Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
msk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by msk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 am

Well, see if you can guess where I placed my vote :-) The clue is in the sig! Martin
Martin Kelly
Befreiungskriege 1813-14
http://befreiungskriege.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 am

The poll is clearly having an influence based on the next 1 dayer at Whitburn 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Voted the 100 days, but I am also interested in the Völkerschlacht of Leipzig (in other words the Befreiungskriege) or the Invasion of Russia.

Cheers,

Burkhard
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

voting

Post by Sheepman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Had to be the 1794/5 French Rev period for me as I have over 600 28mm infantry, 80 cavalry, two batteries of guns for the French and 200 infantry and one battery for the Austrians (don't worry. I'm working hard on the Austrians).
There are even 100 of Robs Reiver Monmouth figures as Vendee Royalists!
I have other Nap periods, but the Revolution is such fun, the unpredictability of the French of the early days Vs the more formal evolutions of Allied armies give for some entertaining evenings.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:41 am

I would have voted (i don t know where voting is possible) for Peninsular war and 100 days.
i have the armies for these periods.

i live near Spain, and i have been to Bussaco and Fuentes de Onoro battle fields.

Peninsular war is fascinating, very different from the other napoleonics campaigns.
Waterloo is an unusual battle, where Wellington despite the numerical advantage given by the prussian arrival, was on the verge of being soundly defeated.
For french there is the challenge to win against all odds and against history.

Winning another battle against Prussians , Austrian or Russians would not give the same sensations.

But, i recognize that for a club group of players, playing the central powers campaigns would be more interesting, more colourful.
So 1813-1814 is a logical "winner" choice.
It would be easier to simulate tactically, in an historical way.
Wargaming the anglo allied armies is a bit tricky, because tactically it s quite an exception.

Curiously the "period of french great victories" 1805_1806 doesn t get many votes.
Would it be an anglo saxon bias against the "French glory" ? Mmmh ?
"British infantry ? In Duel, it s the Devil !"
Général Foy to Napoléon in the morning of june the 18th, 1815.