Raiting my Leib Hussars

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Raiting my Leib Hussars

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Now most rules rate hussars quite high, they were never lazy and any new tropper would be a campaign vetran after just a few weeks.
Same can be said for Chasseurs, but hussars often get a bonus for beeing cooler. or having higher thoughts of them self.

But how should I rate my hussars, they are the 1st regiment and leib, so on paper they should be rated quite high, I think there would be no problem rating them as vetran, but should they also get the elite addage?

Atleast if you look against the other cav the prussians had post 1813, they don't have chasseurs, they got simple dragoons and ulans, and landwehr cav. In theory they had currasiers, but they weren't used much, so wouldnæt the 1st leib hussars, reperesnet some of the best cav, the prussians had at this point? And there for deserve the elite addage?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 pm

I would look at the question from the other direction.

Veteran = combat experience, battle toughness, knowledge of soldiering. In R2E it provides SHOOTING, COMBAT & RESOLVE bonus... the men ARE good.

Elite = self perception: reputation, fancy uniform, nice title, special status in the army. In R2E it provides only a RESOLVE bonus... the men THINK they are good.. EGO.

With Hussars I ALWAYS rate them ELITE as they are dandies! The big question is their combat reputation and so we may have the following situations:

Cumberland Hussars 1815 - RECRUIT - ELITE
Soum Hussars 1812 - DRILLED- ELITE
4er Hussards Spain 1810 - VETERAN - ELITE

Hope this makes sense.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
groslau
Private
Private

Post by groslau » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Hello !

Personnaly, i use the charts of EMPIRE. The rule is not a recent one and i do not think there are many players now, but the author did a complete work and apparently objective in proposing a classification of ALL troops.
For example, for your Russian hussards, Gunfreak, they could appear as follow :

> 1st hussards : 1805-12 / all campaigns / Vétéran-élite / Light Cav
1813-14 / " / Vétéran / "
1815 / " / Vétéran-élite / "

> lieb Hussard : 1804-15 / All campaings / Garde / Light cav

I use the Empire table for RtE, i just finished a few days before the classification of French and British troops. This will avoid us long discussions...

Best regards.

Groslau.
N'oubliez jamais que le sang de l'ennemi est aussi le sang des hommes, la vraie gloire est de l'épargner.
Do not forget that the blood of the enemy is also the blood of mankind, true glory is to spare it.
Louis XV after the battle of Fontenoy.