Austrian cav. unit sizes

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
DNELS17

Austrian cav. unit sizes

Post by DNELS17 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Given the size of Austrian cav. units is it Ok to break them down into 2 or 3 units using R2E?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Austrian cav. unit sizes

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 23, 2011 5:15 am

DNELS17 wrote:Given the size of Austrian cav. units is it Ok to break them down into 2 or 3 units using R2E?
Hi,

The thought you have is well known to me, I would have the same problem with one of my upcoming units because of it's supersize.You should consider to raise your units after an OOB of a certain battle instead of paperstrength.
I on my part do it like Barry has shown it on the picture of the french division. Paperstrenght gives you the opportunity to remove stands to fit in OOB's.
If you referring to the size of the light cavalry regiments it maybe handled like the Prussian "brigades" but I am not certain about it.
That's are only my thoughts to this matter. So let's here the Masters Voice on it :)

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Austrian cav. unit sizes

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm

I don't see why it should be a problem especially as the Austrians were increasingly in the habit of breaking up their light cavalry and even dragoon regiments into (typically) two squadron semi-independent battlefield detachments to act as infantry formation flank guards etc. (Cuirassier regimental integrity should be preserved however - in the usual massed reserve formations).

It's generally agreed that this constant breaking up of one of Europe's finest cavalry arms into nothing more than a support arm for the Austrian infantry and it's over cautious commanders was rather a waste...
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/