Game Pictures ...

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Game Pictures ...

Post by sotek111 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Hello all,

After a busy few months back on track with RtE games. Played a game last Sunday and had a blast --- it was a total bloodbath!

Russians have been added --- a full brigade (new addition) with those big 6 gun batteries ... I love them!

Here are some pictures:

http://www.gfhwg.com/Galleries/July_10_2011/index.htm

Happy gaming!

Jay
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Game Pictures ...

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Are those 15mm or 25mm?

Nice battle!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Jay,

That is beautiful! I do believe they are 25s.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sotek111 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi guys!

Those are "28mm" --- one of the French brigades is using Foundry but the rest are all Front Rank.

We left most of the cavalry out since we hadn't played for a couple months and had a new guy joining us (who also had a great time).

Battle report forthcoming --- I didn't take notes but I can deliver the highlights. Still @ work :-( so when I get home I'll put something together.

Jay
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Just brilliant, absolutely stunning Jay! Quite THE most beautiful setup I've ever seen. The size, the quality, the variety...I wish I had my own bar.

ps. nice wargames table and figures too, did they come with the garage?
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 am

Jay that is a really wonderful set up. The game looks great and it appears that you are playing on the set of CHEERS! Where is Ted Danson????

Look forward to the game report but i think the general staff's of both armies would have been mightily impressed by your beautiful deployments!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 am

A very nice environment, figures, table etc Jay. I'm envious and covet your gaming room! :lol:

That must be one of the more solid gaming tables I have ever seen. Probably a good thing with the bar like environs! :roll:

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sotek111 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 am

Alright --- here goes ... after a couple of months off we wanted to keep things simple so we played your "line it up and have at it" kind of game ... I know, boring, but it kept things simple.

AUSTRIAN/RUSSIAN OOB (Competent):

Austrian Infantry Brigade (Seasoned)
2 x German Infantry Battalions (D)
1 x Hungarian Infantry Battalion (D)
1 x Grenz Infantry Battalion (R)
1 x Landwehr Infantry Battalion (R)
1 x Grenadier Infantry Battalion (VE)

Russian Infantry Brigade (Sluggish)
4 x Musketeer Infantry Battalions (D)
2 x Jager Infantry Battalions (D)
2 x Foot Artillery Battery (D)

Austrian Cavalry Bridage (Seasoned) - Arrived turn 2
1 x Uhlan Regiment (DE)
1 x Hussar Regiment (DE)
1 x Horse Artillery Battery (D)

FRENCH OOB (Skilful)

French Infantry Brigade (Seasoned)
3 x Line Infantry Battalion (D)
1 x Light Infantry Battalion (VE)
1 x Foot Artillery Battery (D)

French Infantry Brigade (Seasoned)

Dutchy of Warsaw Infantry Brigade (Seasoned)
1 x Line Infantry Battalion (VE)

Bavarian Infantry Brigade (Seasoned)
4 x Line Infantry Battalion (D)

Dutchy of Warsaw Cavalry Brigade (Seasoned)
2 x Lancer Regiment (DE)
1 x (French) Horse Artillery Battery (D)

The Austrian/Russian objective was to keep the central road from being overrun (simple enough) and the French objective was to push the Austrian/Russian units further than 9" (since they needed to defend it) away from the road, or have more infantry units in good order within 9" of the road than the Austrians/Russians.

We called the game at the end of turn 5 and called it a minor victory for the French.

Turn 1 initiative went to the French --- who rolled a ton of MPs and as a result advanced quickly. Artillery managed to inflict some hits on one of the Russian artillery batteries and a resolve check result of 2 saw the battery go WAVER (lovely start). Austrian/Russian phase saw some responsitioning of the reserve units (since they had setup before the French) ... artillery was ok with one of the French attack columns getting some serious damage ... but they passed their resolve check.

Turn 2 initiative went to the French who got average MPs and took another big advance. Austrian cavalry brigade deploys across from the Dutchy of Warsaw cavalry brigade which was attempting to move around the flank of the Russian infantry brigade by the barn. Horse artillery deploys on the hill behind the barn.

Turn 3 initiative goes to the Austrians/Russians who struggle with MPs. Cavalry positions so the Uhlans will take the brunt of the Polish cavalry charge ... provided they hold the Hussars will counter attack in the next phase. Artillery breaks one of the French infantry columns and damages another. French turn sees the two Polish lancer units charge into the Austrian Uhlans ... who get hit standing still. They loose and the resolve D6 result is a 1 --- they ROUT --- oh well. Hussars pass their control check for seeing the Uhlans ROUT. The rest of the French get ready to charge in with various attack columns (their brigades are now on Attack orders).

Turn 4 initiative goes to the French. The Polish cavalry form (disordered from previous melee) ... and a number of charges are declared by the French. Against the Russian brigade all charges fail to make contact with many failed "initiate charge" resolve checks ... just bad rolling across the board ... all 1's and 2's ... haha. The Austrian Grenadiers get charged by two Bavarian line units in column. One fails to charge home after the stand and shoot ... other hits and after 3 rounds of CC runs away (ROUT). Grenadiers are a bit knackered though ... they got lucky on their resolve checks. A couple of French columns hit one of the Austrian line units ... which promptly routed. Landwehr and Grenz are not impressed and go WAVER. Austrian/Russian phase sees some extra MPs that can be used for charging. Long story short is most all fail to make contact, and many Russian/Austrian chargers become WAVER as a result.

Turn 5 initiative goes to the French. They capitolize on the several WAVER Austrian and Russian units ... charge it and the resolve checks go against the Austrian/Russians. The Austrian Grenadiers are wiped out to a man, but in the process one of the Bavarian units ROUTs and due to all the checks that get triggered from that all units except for the Bavarian artillery in that brigade are either RETREAT or ROUT.

At this point only two Austrian units on left on the table --- both WAVER. The Russians are a bit better off with 2 Musketeer units realatively ok (one had retreated earlier and rallied --- that saved them).

The French, although with two of the four infantry brigades, and the cavalry brigade essentially gone/retreating, still have two infantry brigades that are realatively healthy and ready to continue the fight. We call it.

That is at least how I remember it :-)

Happy gaming!

Jay
Last edited by sotek111 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sotek111 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:39 am

kiwipeterh wrote:A very nice environment, figures, table etc Jay. I'm envious and covet your gaming room! :lol:

That must be one of the more solid gaming tables I have ever seen. Probably a good thing with the bar like environs! :roll:

Salute
von Peter himself
Indeed --- it is a solid structure ... but completely breaks down (do that for parties). Bolts are used for everything --- although a simple design I have been really happy with how it came out. I will likely build a forth table so I can do a 8 x 12' configuration :-)
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sotek111 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 am

barr7430 wrote:Jay that is a really wonderful set up. The game looks great and it appears that you are playing on the set of CHEERS! Where is Ted Danson????

Look forward to the game report but i think the general staff's of both armies would have been mightily impressed by your beautiful deployments!
Ted is taking the pictures :-) I was brought up to always keep the beer close to the game table ... lol!

And to everyone who replied --- thanks for the kind words -- it took a while to get it all built but I am very happy with my "man cave". If anyone happens to find themselves in the San Francisco bay area just let me know --- gamers are always welcome :-)
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am

sotek111 wrote:And to everyone who replied --- thanks for the kind words -- it took a while to get it all built but I am very happy with my "man cave". If anyone happens to find themselves in the San Francisco bay area just let me know --- gamers are always welcome :-)
Hi Jay, so this is where you've got to? :lol:

I wish I'd seen it when I was there - maybe next time eh?

Andy
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:31 pm

andy thompson wrote:
sotek111 wrote:And to everyone who replied --- thanks for the kind words -- it took a while to get it all built but I am very happy with my "man cave". If anyone happens to find themselves in the San Francisco bay area just let me know --- gamers are always welcome :-)

Andy
Just when you think its safe..... :)

Bill
sotek111
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sotek111 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 pm

BP wrote:
andy thompson wrote:

Andy
Just when you think its safe..... :)

Bill
Hey --- my favorite scotsmen!! Indeed --- no longer fooling with that game Warhammer and off to better things.

As a side note, I noticed Warhammer Historical released their Nap rules called "Waterloo" ... original --- really gives you the sense they are focused on the whole war ;-) Oh, and guessing artillery ranges ... ahahahahahah! I think the British come from an island ... called Ulthuan ... and the French are just well dressed Orcs ... ok ... I'll stop now.

Give me a heads up when you are crossing the pond next ... I'll setup a game or at least some beers :-) Oh, and drop me an email at sotek486@yahoo.com ...
Jay White
Fremont, CA (USA)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

sotek111 wrote: Hussars pass their control check for seeing the Uhlans ROUT. Jay
Jay, cavalry don't test for seeing other cavalry routing.
It sounds and looks like a good game and like everyone else, I love your gaming room. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Dave