Saltanovka

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Jeff Ashby

Saltanovka

Post by Jeff Ashby » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:28 am

I am attempting to find a map for this battle. Foords hand drawn map is easily found, but I am at a loss as I try to find any maps that are of the larger region that would show many of the villages that accounts of the battle describe. I "believe" I can locate the battlefield on Google, but the names are still "illegible" to my "limited to english" comprehension of the world. I also found this map earlier http://www.napoleon-online.de/Mohilew1812_Kaussler.jpg
Any help in regards to this battle would be greatly appreciated.

As as aside, it is quite alarming to see the varied interpretations of the battle. One well known writer describes the 3rd Legere being routed/captured the day before the battle. Heaven knows where that oversight came from. Everybody gives acclaim to their own heros. But it does make for provacative reading.
Jeff Ashby (easiest contact is here or thru aol mail using wmevms96 as the name)
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Saltanovka

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:47 am

Jeff,

I am not sure if this suits your request but it wont hurt if you know of it:

http://warandgame.com/2011/06/13/the-ba ... a-mogilev/

http://nap.phxsim.com/articles/nap_- ... index.html

Maybe it helps

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Jeff Ashby

Post by Jeff Ashby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 am

I was aware of those well done articles and will use that map as part of my "flavoring" when I build up my board. The article was fairly helpful.
Other articles, which seem to be very detail oriented in their description of the battle, add other names to this region and I was hoping to find the locations as described. Thanks for the map! Jeff
Jeff Ashby

Post by Jeff Ashby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:24 am

I am taking the liberty of posting some research Chris Maine did for me when I sent him an email about Saltanovka. Here is the best of the 3 links he sent me. Now, if someone can translate some of the names for me I would be much obliged.

I would also like to point out the following "small" descrepancy. Most of the period maps show the creek/ravine as joining the Dneiper R. at a 60 degree angle, where as current Google shows it at a 90 degree (perpendicular) tack. I certainly know that 200 years later the river may have migrated or been given a "new" path by human intervention, but it seems doubtful.

Nafziner refers to Atovka. Atovka is the object of attention for some Russian battles a bit later in the battle. Does anyone confidently know that the heck he is talking about in his book when he discusses this (Atovka) in the battle? Given its context, it would either be a French officer (and his command), or yet another version of a village name that no one else seems to name.