C&C of artillery

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

C&C of artillery

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:11 am

The amendment brought something to my mind again that I have been meaning to ask for a long time now... How is command and control of artillery handled actually?

I mean if you have an infantry Brig. you need to spend command points for them change or mainting orders and so on. But I have not found anything on artillery. Do you need to spend points for a Btry. To fire, limber up, move and so on? If you do, do you have to spend them on each Btry. (unless part of a grand battery) or can you sort of brigade Btry.s togehter to save points? Could these be given brigade orders? Can artillery have commanders as well to provide you with points?

THX in advance,

Burkhard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C&C of artillery

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Burkhard,

in most armies artillery is usually attached at Divisional level. Deployed batteries therefore provide support bonuses to elements of the 'Division' not just brigade. Movement of batteries is governed under single unit action and multiples thereof. Command distance is taken either from the divisional commander/ corps commander or CiC. MPs are needed to limber/unlimber and move. Batteries can perform exploitation moves. In a recent game I saw a horse battery attached to a cavalry division: limber+move / move/ move/ unlimber+fire all in a single turn. Very impressive! the ground covered was about 48 inches I think. Now that's what flying horse batteries are for!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm

THX Barry,

So we played it virtually right.

Which only leaves the last question... Is it possible to "brigade" batteries together and give them brigade orders? Would it be possible to have dedicated Artillery commanders?

THX,

Burkhard
msk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by msk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Barry's use of the phrase "most armies" is too tempting to resist. I'm going to draw attention the late period Prussian army as an exception to this rigid allocation of artillery at division level. One of the thing I like most about RtoE is that it enables historically realistic C&C for the Prussians unlike almost any other Napoleonic ruleset. I've posted several times in the past on my blog about how that can be achieved and Barry has my digested version of those posts with the intention of twisting Clarence's arm into making them into a nice pretty PDF that will be downloadable from the LOA website.

Burkhard - you've probably seen those postings on my blog already but let me know if you haven't and I'll point you in the right direction.

Barry - hoping to pop by your Crimea game at Salute next Saturday!
Martin Kelly
Befreiungskriege 1813-14
http://befreiungskriege.wordpress.com/
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 pm

14th Brooklyn wrote:THX Barry,
Which only leaves the last question... Is it possible to "brigade" batteries together and give them brigade orders? Would it be possible to have dedicated Artillery commanders?
THX,
Burkhard
Burkhard, that is covered under the rules for Grand Batteries which is basically what you are trying to achieve.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks Martin... you know, as I typed it I thought.. will I mention the Prussians and actually back spaced to take out the bit I had begun!

Trust you! :lol:

I have had a few personal issues to deal with since January which are finally passed. I will get round to that pdf never fear.

Hope to see you at SALUTE..

You missed a grand showing at the Derby Bautzen game, I thought you and Peter were coming along...
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:25 am

msk wrote:[...]
Burkhard - you've probably seen those postings on my blog already but let me know if you haven't and I'll point you in the right direction.

Barry - hoping to pop by your Crimea game at Salute next Saturday!
Hi Martin,

no worries... I read your thoughts (and I think it will be great that they will soon be available as PDF). Just wanted to know what Barry and those who play the rules quiet often think in term of how this fits into the mechnism of the rules.
obriendavid wrote:Burkhard, that is covered under the rules for Grand Batteries which is basically what you are trying to achieve.
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

can you give me a hint where to find this? I read pg. 76 again after your post, but can not find anything that goes into this direction.

THX,

Burkhard
P.S.: Hope I am not too - here... maybe this comes with the territory of my dayjob. :oops: