Compatible campaign systems for R2E

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Karim
Corporal
Corporal

Compatible campaign systems for R2E

Post by Karim » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 am

Anyone found any compatible campaign systems for Republic to Empire? Preferably ones with solo options? I am looking for something that could be adapted to provide an ongoing story, linking battles and provide some framework.

I have picked up "The Emperor Returns" and "L'Armee Du Nord" for maps and counters. Reading the rules they are a bit light on for the campaign side.

I have been reading about Piquet's Theatre of War which sounds promising in setting up suitable Fog of War. But it needs to use the master Picquet rules, which I am not sure if they are compatible?

Anyone played with TOW?

I saw a previous thread here a couple of years ago that didn't really have many ideas in it?

Thanks
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Compatible campaign systems for R2E

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

I've read Theatre of War, albeit a while ago, but not played it. I don't see that it is compulsory to use Piquet to resolve the battles. You just need to come up with a mechanism to translate the campaign forces into table top forces for your favoured wargaming rules.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed May 02, 2012 5:36 am

Karim,

How far it is possible to make it compatible to RtE I dont know but I think its worth to take a look at

http://www.murat.ca/Campaign.php

the maps they use are here

http://www.murat.ca/maps.htm

Have to look into it myself as I m looking for a campaign system myself. Only have a few of their maps so far :roll:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Karim
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Karim » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks Friedrich,

I have seen Malcolm's system before, very impressive. Looks like a full time job coordinating it. Maybe a bit over the top for what I am planning - smallish solo campaign or one with a few players if I can convince some others. I'll be supplying all the troops and table.

I was looking at Theatre of War because it has some mechanisms for controlling various aspects of a campaign that could be used in a solo game. I find their idea of National Will points in determining how long a war is fought is interesting. I've ordered the rules and will let people know.

I'm a bit surprised that not many here seem to be playing a campaign with R2E. I like the rule system, and would like to build a story along with it.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:34 am

Hmmmm....

a campaign, that is a good idea. I have done this before...

Running a multi player game with players in different geographical locations is actually great fun. The battles could be fought in various locations by volunteers and the results relayed to the commanders... I wonder if there would be any interest in this from R2E site members.....

I will post a seperate thread. Rohan, maybe a system could be developed to cope with this as my normal way of doing it is longhand with hard copy maps...
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford