Manoeuvre Points Calculation

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Rod MacArthur

Manoeuvre Points Calculation

Post by Rod MacArthur » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Just getting my head around these.

I understand that Manoeuvre Points are calculated by each side for each turn.

Am I correct in thinking that in a Corps level game with, for example one of the armies having three Divisions, each of three Brigades (but only one player each side), there will only be one set of fixed MPs for the Corps Commander and only one dice throw (of 9 x DAv - assuming all Brigades are active)?

If conversely there are four players each side (ie Corps Commander and three Divisional Commanders) I understand that there would be separate throws for each of the three Divisional Commanders on that side, with them adding their fixed MPs to whatever they throw, and the Corps Commander having just his fixed MPs (unless he has some troops to directly command)? If this is correct, then I take it that it is up the Corps Commander how to use his fixed MPs, either directly or by allocating them to some or all of his Divisional Commanders.

Is this correct?

Rod
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Manoeuvre Points Calculation

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 pm

There is some flexibility in how you do this in multi player games Rod. You are correct in the assumption for single player games.

In the multi player scenario. You could let the Corps commander throw ALL the dice, add his allownace and then parcel them out to his divisional commanders. Thus, he is the Commander in chief and making command decisions for the Corps. In such a case the individual divisional commanders should not be adding divisional command points relative to their ability unless you have set the scenario up like that. The fixed addition of points (2,4,6 or 8 depending on ability level) is at Corps Commander level only. The purpose of the divisional commander models is to allow brigades to change orders(by being proximate to them) and to provide morale bonuses where applicable by joining units. Of course the divisional level players have fun moving troops, firing and fighting (and maybe fighting each other in the scramble to solicit points from the Corps fella!)

Chain of command and the position of Divisional commander models is critical in R2E. Brigades did not arbitrarily change orders (like wargmers do when they see the rabbit) but had to wait till they were told. This makes the points use and allocation a pivotal part of the rule system.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rod MacArthur

Re: Manoeuvre Points Calculation

Post by Rod MacArthur » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:13 am

Barry,

Thanks, that makes sense. The way I read it first was that there could be more MPs available in a multi player game (if Divisional Commanders each had fixed ones as well as the Corps Commander), but how you have explained it is much more logical.

Rod