Mounting cav figures for R2E

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mounting cav figures for R2E

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I've got a silly question. Does anyone think there would be any issues with have an odd number of figures in a cavalry squadron? The reason is to stay closer to the listed OB strengths without going over them (in some cases) and by having a 7 figure squadron versus 8 figures then I would be closer to keeping things on a more level playing field.

Thanks.

Greg M.
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Mounting cav figures for R2E

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Greg,

nothing will keep you from building a body of troops as YOU like it. And if the should have odd numbers on their bases, so be it. Take a look on this picture:

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery/images/1619.jpg

If you look closley you will notice the 'missing' figures in the second rank.

You may also do the 8 figure squadron but have the 7th and 8th figure attached on single figure bases.

As long as you keep the 4-figure Combat Group Rule in mind all is allowed.

Hope that helps.
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Gunter,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, that 4 figure combat group is the interesting part for cavalry.
Greg
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm

18th Century Guy wrote:I've got a silly question. Does anyone think there would be any issues with have an odd number of figures in a cavalry squadron? The reason is to stay closer to the listed OB strengths without going over them (in some cases) and by having a 7 figure squadron versus 8 figures then I would be closer to keeping things on a more level playing field. Greg M.
Greg there is no reason for having to stick to equal sized cavalry squadrons especially as historical orbats often have odd numbers the main thing to remember is to record the actual unit strengths on your roster sheet and divide that number by four to workout your number of combat groups.
Cheers
Dave