BUA expanded example/question

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
ebersteiner

BUA expanded example/question

Post by ebersteiner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Fighting within a BUA, expanding the example from page 113.
The BUA is a size 2B, limit of six group defenders, the rules talk of sending in reserves of 50% of the attacker group. In this example the French attacked with 12 groups, so can the Austrian bring in six more groups?
Or, is the limit of Six Defenders for a class 2B rule the max?

Part 2, sorry rules are new to me,
If the French had won the first assault, they would have fought into the BUA. For the next round of combat would the entire attacking force be counted as inside the BUA or does the base of six for the size of a 2B rule?
Regards, Ebersteiner
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BUA expanded example/question

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:40 am

Just seen this am its 1.30 am will answer tomorrow
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
ebersteiner

Post by ebersteiner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Barry,

Looking forward to the help, another question on this example -
The French scored more hits but still a draw, difference of (2)
Austrians 4 casualties, French 2 casualties -
Chart for (2) shows it should be [PAGE 97], Winner 4 loser 6?
Regards,
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:11 am

Yip really sorry, hoping to settle down with a cuppa and some time tomorrow.. call it Christmas conflicting agendas!

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 am

Clarifying first the number of defenders - it can never exceed the capacity of the BuA size.So, for the Austrians defending it is 6 groups max at any given time. The reinforcements can only replenish up to the maximum capacity. This 'feeding in' will act like a drip drip on resources.

On the second question that is a definite typo which I may well have known about but have not been asked about for a while sorry :oops: We need to chastise the proof readers!

The French should take 4 casualties and the Austrians 6 in that case.

Fighting in BuAs has been the source of much vexation but also much enjoyment for us in our games over the years hence the rule mechanisms which make assaults an increasing risk. When re fighting Bautzen one of our number managed to get 11 colonels, brigadiers and generals de division killed in a multiple turn assault to take a single village. We still talk about it 4 years later.

For BLB we introduced a further difficulty by getting the attackers to re throw ALL of their hits! This makes it even more difficult clearly. We felt that assaulting prepared positions in BuAs should be really difficult because it was really difficult.

Henry Ford
ebersteiner

Post by ebersteiner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Barry,

Appreciate your insights.
I have read the subject concerning rule changes with BuA, your detailed examples are excellent.
My question on the defender sending in more troops was in reference to the last sentence of the second paragraph, second column - page 110.
I'm not sure what the thought was as to the limit of 50% placed on this action, the size of the BuA will limit the number of men sent in.
In the topic Plancenoit, 1815 BuA - the idea of a town/village of multiple sections was raised. This will cause a problem as the rules do not cover this, a larger size village would/should be the larger size BuA, aka 4b.
Has your group ever gamed with multiple size BuA together?
"I think I can"
Ebersteiner