Clarifications

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
Antioch
Private
Private

Clarifications

Post by Antioch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:39 am

Clarence,

We have been enjoying trying VWQ.

A few points came up that don't appear to be covered... When firing what is the interpretation of a unit or part unit being able to fire between a gap of friendly troops to the opponents? We used a one stand width when it came up.

Secondly we had a situation where a cav Sqn charged an opposing cav Sqn who was located between to other units. (sadly deployed by mistake with one troop in front of the other) The recipient did counter charge... Lost the hand to hand & retired shaken. The winner wanted to pursue... So we had a situation where there was no suitable - for the winning cav (deployed in line) to pursue... Without hitting the flanking two units also not exactly even with each other. We backed off & allowed the pursue to be withdrawn.. How would the rules deal with this...?

Ps: Have really been enjoying the rules..
quindia
General
General

Re: Clarifications

Post by quindia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 am

One base width gap per stand firing. If there is only one base width, you fire with one stand, two base widths you may fire with two stands, etc...

Messy melees are always the hardest part of the rules to define and certainly beyond the scope of my little free set, but it sounds as if you handled it properly. There should be a mechanic to allow pursing horse to barrel into another unit in their enthusiasm, but remember they will be disorganized and scattered and probably not fare very well against steady troops!

I'll put this on my list of things to cover (I'm working on an update but juggling three or four projects so no time table for VWQ yet).