Two questions about VwQ rules

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
ian-Aberd

Two questions about VwQ rules

Post by ian-Aberd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:16 pm

My first question is about Officers issuing orders.
A brigadier has a command span of 6 inches, and when his card is drawn a regiment in his brigade is 16 inches away from him. Can he move 12 inches and issue an order to them, or must they be within his command span before he commences any movement?

My second question is about firing and charging.
A regiment of foot receives an order to charge a shaken enemy of foot 3 inches directly in front of them. Can they fire before making their charge move? Back in 2008 Clarence indicated that they could, but in a 2013 post he stated that charge order could not include any firing. Help!

Any views from members of the Forum (especially from the author!) would be greatly appreciated.

Ian
quindia
General
General

Re: Two questions about VwQ rules

Post by quindia » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Sorry that's not clear. The officer needs to issue the order before moving. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of the six inch command radius, effectively giving the character an eighteen inch range! The movement (if any) may be taken after the order is issued.

The discrepancy in the charge order clarifications may have been an evolution in the game. As it stands now, If you issue Charge orders the unit cannot fire.
ian-Aberd

Post by ian-Aberd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:07 am

Many thanks for the quick reply. The answers were the ones I was hoping for. Everything is now clear - on with the game!
Ian
ian-Aberd

Post by ian-Aberd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 am

Highlanders can still fire when they charge? I assume that is the only exception to your clarification?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:11 am

I haven't really codified special rules for Highlanders. I would need to research it a little better, but my best answer at the moment is do what ever feels right for your table.

One of these days we are going to have to publish these...