Question on foot shooting at trotters

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
itchysama
Private
Private

Question on foot shooting at trotters

Post by itchysama » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Trotters firing at infantry is considered close range per the rules.

What about foot firing at Trotters who are shooting at them? Is it considered short range, or based where the Trotters caracole back to (their marked position on the table)?

Also - if infantry shoot at Trotters (infantry have the order), say at 8 inches, do trotters shoot back at close range?

We played it as as foot firing at short range, but now I'm thinking it should be based on where the trotters are formed up at.

Yea/Nay or something else?

FYI - running 2 VWQ games at MilleniumCon 19 http://millenniumcon.info/ in Round Rock, TX Nov 11-13.

YIS,
Alan
quindia
General
General

Re: Question on foot shooting at trotters

Post by quindia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 am

Infantry would fire at the actual range to the target... The trotters fire at close range because they ride forward in waves, fire, and then retire. I assume they are only doing this on their card, even though the turn is suppose to represent (mostly) simultaneous action. The problem in doing it the other way would come if the infantry card came up before the trotters and claim short range because the trotters are within 8" and they will soon be caracoling (it's a word, I looked it up... :D ). What if the trotter card doesn't come up before the turn over card? It's just easier to assume only the trotters fire at the optimal moment.

I look forward to a report on the con...
itchysama
Private
Private

Re: Question on foot shooting at trotters

Post by itchysama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks on the clarification.
Will post about the Con once done.

YIS,
Alan