Needing a shot in the arm!

Help related to anything in the gaming world
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Needing a shot in the arm!

Post by PaulMc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:14 am

Hi folks,

Anyone out there got any ideas on how I can find some enthusiasm for the hobby again? I'm stuck in a rut, I'm not a member of a club and have no one nearby that I know of whom I can have a game with. I've even stopped buying the magazines recently as I see no articles that are particularly interesting or inspiring. Additionally, what is it with figure manufacturer's never finishing ranges and continually starting new ones? That really puts me off. I need something to get my teeth into!

HELP!!! :?
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Paul,

That's a tricky one. The most enthused I get is in the run up and just after a our monthly wargames. Possibly a simple way to rejuvenate your hobby interest would be a new slant on something that you already do. A new army, theatre, level of combat or just a new rules set to try out? Several years ago a friend and I were getting jaded with Seven Years War battles and we decided to move our attention to the same period in India. Worked very well (and is still working) NEw books to read, soldiers to paint terrain to make but we could also reuse a portion of what we already had.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Paul
can i ask if you are not a member of a club through choice or if you do'nt know of any?

iain
Cajun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cajun » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Speaking as someone who does not have an active historicals gaming group, I get my inspiration from the conventions I am able to attend, various historical wargaming blogs, and from forums like this! I never lack for enthusiasm for the hobby - I just wish I had an active group closer than 3-4 hours away. Time is the only obstacle I face.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:54 pm

As far as clubs go it's a bit of both, partly through choice and partly because there may be some I'm unaware of. I don't drive yet so transport is always a problem for me. The two Glasgow clubs that I know of are a bit out of the way for me to get to just for an evening, the same for East Kilbride. The club that did impress me when I was through a year or so ago was Edinburgh, but that is just out of the question considering the distance.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Paul
The Glasgow and District Club meets in the south side of Glasgow every second Sunday. They meet fortnightly on Sundays from 1 pm to 7 pm in the Scout hall, Shawmoss Road, Crossmyloof, Glasgow.
They're a good bunch of chaps and play almost every game going. They have a web site at http://www.gdws.co.uk/
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 am

Paul,

Not considering the suggestion that you send me all of your figures, you might try watching some movies set in various historical periods . . . they can often get the juices flowing.

Blogging can also often help . . . you can document projects as they grow . . . and the comments and encouragement of fellow gamers (even if they're on the other side of the globe) helps keep you going.

As for magazines, the only one that I pick up now is BATTLEGAMES.

And, if all else fails, you can still ship all of your figures to me . . . *grin*.

-- Jeff
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 am

Hello Paul,

Our location is certainly not going to help for your wargaming on regular basis close to home, but - don't give up hope of finding opponents or clubs locally, you are in the most populated part of the country, and by dint of numbers, there will be other wargamers out there close to home.

The one thing that never ceases to impress me when we meet is your depth of knowledge on many and varied subjects. You obvioulsy take your research very seriously (how do you retain memory of all the facts and figures ?) and look very deeply into the subject matter.

I too, had given up on Magazines, but then you know the Particular RUT I am stuck in. Now, through the Crimean War Reasearch Society I get a quarterly publication that is dedicated to my chosen field in the extreme.

I would concur with Bluebear's comments - movies/documentaries are good sources of inspiration. Look forward to the next LOGW, I am sure the "Gent's" will be full of suggestions !

As to gaming, you know my thoughts on the matter, and it's always been a pleasure to game with, or against you whenever the occaision arises.

Take heart !

Best wishes
Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 pm

What you need is some wargaming buddies

Figures, periods,miniatures, displays etc. always come second to my wargaming buddies.

For a long time now its the people I game with that make the hobby for me and nothing else! Put it this way you can have the best looking wargame In the world etc. But if your opponent is a %^*(£* ole does it really matter!

I have lost my passion before, but it's my buddies that have brought my passion back! :wink:
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!