French Gensdarmerie query

Help related to anything in the gaming world
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

French Gensdarmerie query

Post by Shann1870 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I am currently painting up 4 squadrons of Gensdarmes for my Grand Alliance French army and am a bit stuck on the trumpeters. The only picture I have seems to show them in white coats very heavily adorned with red and blue. Have I got that right, or my eyes worse than I thought? Also, what colour are their saddle cloths - red the same as everyone else, or different? Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance - Steve.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: French Gensdarmerie query

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Robert Hall's book/CD on Louis XIV's cavalry should have everything you need.
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shann1870 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 pm

That's the one I am looking at. I can't quite make out the colour of the coat underneath all the lace. I read the text but couldn't find any reference to the trumpeters. I just wanted confirmation before putting paint to figure!!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 am

Actually the coat color is blue but what you are making out to be white is the silver stripes in between the 'lace' bars. So it goes like this - lace bar, blue from the coat, silver bar, blue from the coat, lace bar...and so on.

So you see very little of the actual blue coat due to all of the different lace on the coat! I'm looking at the same picture and I think somewhere there is text that describes how the coat looks.
Greg
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shann1870 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

That's great - thanks very much for your help - hadn't picked up on the silver at all. Can get on and finish them now!