Lundin Links Weekender Summer 2012

Info and chat about wargaming weekend events arranged by LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG in both England and Scotland
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lundin Links Weekender Summer 2012

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 am

Dave, I'll let Big Boy and Killer Colin comment on the FIBUA but the 1/107 de Ligne (all 400 of them) necessitated 2 full Prussian Brigades to prize them out of quadrant 1 of Plancenoit..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:15 am

barr7430 wrote:Dave, I'll let Big Boy and Killer Colin comment on the FIBUA but the 1/107 de Ligne (all 400 of them) necessitated 2 full Prussian Brigades to prize them out of quadrant 1 of Plancenoit..
My point exactly!
And did the French attempt to throw them back out?
Personally I preferred the original system which would see BUA's changing hands many times, I don't think this will happen with the rule change.

Great pics of the weekend.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm torn on this actually Dave but I must admit it did work well (same as bfore but different :shock: ) Clearly now the attacker has to throw in shed loads and this denudes other parts of the field and s u c k s reserves. The re rolls are a killer. The La Haye Sainte felt very credible as Bob had about 3 goes at taking it.

I included a special attack formation: 32 grenadiers VETERAN with 3 attached Generals of Brigade rank and a drum corps (morale bonus). It looked lovely marching against the farm but it too failed to take it. Having worn down the defenders the coup came from 2 round of bombardment by 3 batteries followed by the Young Guard flopping over the line. Still, the KGL managed to get a few score men out. It fell at 7 or 7.20pm... raggedy cheers and lots of sweat but that' what the weekenders are all about!!!

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:52 pm

barr7430 wrote: I included a special attack formation: 32 grenadiers VETERAN with 3 attached Generals of Brigade rank and a drum corps (morale bonus). It looked lovely marching against the farm but it too failed to take it. Having worn down the defenders the coup came from 2 round of bombardment by 3 batteries followed by the Young Guard flopping over the line. Still, the KGL managed to get a few score men out. It fell at 7 or 7.20pm... raggedy cheers and lots of sweat but that' what the weekenders are all about!!!
You've got a drum corps???
Sounds good and is fine for over a weekend game but you will probably find that most guys that game a few hours once a week will have trouble taking BUA and I doubt their opponent will have the time or troops to retake it which wasn't the case with the original rules.
Cheers
Dave
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm

barr7430 wrote:Dave, I'll let Big Boy and Killer Colin comment on the FIBUA but the 1/107 de Ligne (all 400 of them) necessitated 2 full Prussian Brigades to prize them out of quadrant 1 of Plancenoit..
The Prussians seemed to be reluctant when it came to assault. Each time they attacked the majority of regiments refused to go in so it took several turns and a reduction in the number of defenders before a plucky regiment breached the walls.
obriendavid wrote: And did the French attempt to throw them back out?
No but that was a tactical decision. There was no intention to start retaking sections unless the third quadrant fell. The overall French strategy was to attack Wellington and cling on as long as possible elsewhere. So the town served as a distraction that pulled manpower away from the attack on Lobau.
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 pm

From the point of view of "the fighting Duke" :lol: La Haye Saint in it's undiminished form proved the lynch-pin of our defense for several hours. The inability of the French to move within 9" of it without charging or assaulting meant that we could effectively block off a large part of the field until it was captured or reduced. At that point we were in no fit state to launch a counter-attack anyway.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 am

BUT YOU WANTED TOO! :twisted:

Henry Ford