OCTOBER MUSTER 2013 - DERBY

Info and chat about wargaming weekend events arranged by LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG in both England and Scotland
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OCTOBER MUSTER 2013 - DERBY

Post by barr7430 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks Les and Jim, it really was a good one. Great crowd and I think the 4 table set up worked very well keeping the energy level of the players high right till the last.

The Saxons were hugely impressive as a collection and Gunter has done so well to get the largest Warfare set up I have seen so far.
Despite ALL the hype, the Swedes FAILED to win a single battle managing 2 draws and 2 defeats (albeit glorious, bloody and exciting).
Colin did not let us down despite a slow start in the mortality stakes... 3 brigadiers in a single game in Flanders... restored my faith in KC (but where is the Sunshine Band? :shock: )

Not sure which of the scenarios was my personal favourite but I did like the Highland game.

Going to do a full series on the Blog on every battle.. lots of pix and some narrative.

Needto count my Carbs this week though.. Tony the chef is clearly of the traditional British variety! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Hanni
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hanni » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 am

Hostile Midlands doesn't have the same ring to it though does it ? :)
I'm just a wee southern jessie anyway.
Fantastic time though and I'm not eating for the rest of this week, although I believe someone did find some protein in his 5 a day.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am

Got back to Steve/Leighton Buzzard at 8:00PM.

It was a great weekend and I am most greatfull to have been part of it!

My Saxons made me very proud on these two days and it was very funny to hear by all who fought these days with them against the Swedish that they reported to me their successes whenever I walked over to their table :D
I felt like the real King!

I have to thank Adrian, Bob and Barry for all their efforts to give as such a lovely Weekender! It seems also that Bob liked his 'little' gift :wink:

Thanks Chaps!

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks to everybody - great weekend again.

Thought the four tables worked really well.

Off to practise rolling dice for officer casualty effects - I've been told it is possible to roll more than 3 but I think that's a scurrilous rumour put about by some umpires!
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Excellent weekend, great company and good games. Thanks to all who participated and organised it all.

I have uploaded some photos, here:click

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Just as I remember it Adam... nice pix on your blog

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Some great looking pics and your Saxons look even more impressive on the battlefield Gunter.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 am

It WAS very impressive Dave. At a rough count just under 500 Warfare minis in one army with a particularly cohesive look because of the painting and basing continuity. They fought pretty well too! From four games the Swedes did not get a win although the caused a few bum-clench moments for the Saxons. Two outright Saxon victories, a draw and a losing draw I think.

The best Saxon performance was almost annihilation of the Swedes who ended the game with about 15 models and the King from about 220 which they started with!.. mind you, they were STILL fighting at that point :shock: :shock: :shock:

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

ColinN wrote:Off to practise rolling dice for officer casualty effects - I've been told it is possible to roll more than 3 but I think that's a scurrilous rumour put about by some umpires!
Colin, have a quite check of the rules, I think you're supposed to use a D6, not a D3... :lol:
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Chaps,

Just wanted to echo the previous posts, absolutely splendid weekender.
Great gaming, excellent banter, fantastic company, and some new friends made.

Thanks to everybody for making it a great weekend.

Gunter, I can confirm that Toggy made it back to the Lanarkshire Riviera without losing his new toy swwwwwword!!! :D :D :D .......although it was somewhat worrying that he insisted standing on the roof of the car, waving it around and shouting........" Chaaaarrrrrrrgggggge!!!" :shock: :shock:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:14 pm

barr7430 wrote:It WAS very impressive Dave.

The best Saxon performance was almost annihilation of the Swedes who ended the game with about 15 models and the King from about 220 which they started with!.. mind you, they were STILL fighting at that point :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah Dave......according to the propaganda in the bar afterwards......it might have been Toggy's greatest wargames victory ever.......almost!!!
However Les and I, very sensibly, didn't listen to him and played the game in a manner fitting a great victory for the Saxons!!!! :D :D :D

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:22 pm

ColinN wrote:Thanks to everybody - great weekend again.

Thought the four tables worked really well.

Off to practise rolling dice for officer casualty effects - I've been told it is possible to roll more than 3 but I think that's a scurrilous rumour put about by some umpires!
Yeah, thoroughly agree with you on the 4 tables.

Colin, practising officer casualty rolls might make for a number of very nervous models in your army!! :wink:

Cheers

Gerry

P.s.......you need to fire your muskets to get First Volley Bonus!! :D :D :D
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 pm

And a new nickname for Toggy too..... Grima!

Henry Ford
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

barr7430 wrote:And a new nickname for Toggy too..... Grima!

Can you edit his username to that ?? :wink: lol

Cheers

Gerry
Hanni
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hanni » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Horsa and Hengist indeed, less Va Va Voom, more Vorsprung Durch Tecknik. Ruthless German (Saxon) efficiency. But boy, did they make you pucker up, they just didn't stop.

:shock:

Cheers

Les.