One day game in Irvine mid- late March

Info and chat about wargaming weekend events arranged by LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG in both England and Scotland
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One day game in Irvine mid- late March

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 am

Ah, Bill, Hero of the hour...

Vanquisher of the Grenadiers a cheval of the Guard
Blaster of Batteries
Master of Horse Artillery

Modest as always...

Who was it you were trouncing on that flank? What was the varlet's name?
Who would not be welcome at the Imperial Court thereafter?

Stand up that MAN!

And as for the Neapolitan Mafia throwing their own King into the river in the stampede - Colin Kills Kings & Colonels!!!!!

I am sure there will be comments from some of the crew (those that are not hiding in bunkers in Blackwood that it is :lol: :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:10 am

I believe the varlet was none other than the Duc de Toggy.

As a belated birthday present to Bill, I let him destroy & capture the Grenadier a Cheval eagle, I'm one of life's good guys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for all the other scurrilous slurs being thrown from "Wiener" Hilton I know nothing of this & will let a very soggy Marshal Murat explain everything.

Time to get into lockdown in the bunker now, before Nappy comes looking for his cavalry :oops: :oops: :oops:
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
billwargames
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by billwargames » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:03 pm

:lol: :lol:
:D
Cheers Bob,we had our own battle of the flank.......
Bill.......
biomed
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm

A few of the players commented that it was a very challenging scenario and I guess that was true. The French were outnumbered 2:1 and we did not use any of their best infantry reinforcements so the performed extremely well with the Italians in Dosen making a good fight of it.
The large Austrian battalions are at an advantage against a static enemy with their enormous capacity to sustain damage.

Gaming is a learning experience and the very complicated bog + steep hill + BUA exclusion zone had us all flummoxed for a few turns until I actually remembered what I had written in the rules... maybe we should play more often :wink:

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:35 pm

barr7430 wrote:Gaming is a learning experience and the very complicated bog + steep hill + BUA exclusion zone had us all flummoxed for a few turns until I actually remembered what I had written in the rules... maybe we should play more often
I thought Dave O'Brien wrote the rules :D :D :D
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Naw, he just trawls Facebook looking for incriminating pictures :shock:

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:31 pm

barr7430 wrote:A few of the players commented that it was a very challenging scenario
Yes you had your own special challenge on the flank you were fighting on, will you be bringing out a book " Tales of the Riverbank - A Lesson in Diplomacy" :wink: :wink: :wink:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:40 pm

barr7430 wrote:Naw, he just trawls Facebook looking for incriminating pictures :shock:
Careful! I might post them here 8-)

Sounds like you guys had a great time but unfortunately I would have had to pull out even if I hadn't been working.
Last week was a bit of a 'mare' with Hugh dying on Monday morning then finding out in the afternoon that a college friend entered a hospice where he passed away on Thurs then a 93 year old aunt went into hospital with pneumonia. My weekend was spent in the Inverclyde Hospital.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 am

Dave, your Russian Infantry were in the thick of the fighting although they had a lot of mud on their boots courtesy of Gerry and a marsh.

Henry Ford
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by PaulPatrick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

It was a great weekend.

As Napoleon,with my team,we decided on a plan to 'delay,hold & counterattack where possible', against a tsunami of huge Austrian/Russian battalions coming our way.

The Italian 5th Divison of Fontanelli was deployed to hold the villages of Dolitz & Dosen for as long as possible, whilst a second defensive line was being formed between Losing & Probstheida. Hopefully,a delaying action would enable Napoleon to bring up reserves for the counter attack. Murat began as the on field commander.

A heavy mist/fog did not help as Austrian & Russian forces crashed into the Italians without warning & eliminated our forward artillery without us firing a shot. The allies bypassed Dosen & assaulted 'Killer Colin' in Dolitz. Forced out of here,Colin & Roddy's Italians put up a good fight & delayed the allies.

On the rear French left at Probstheida Bill's Russian cavalry & horse artillery came out of the mist & destroyed another artillery battery without it firing a shot.

The Italians slowly retreated back towards the river bridge & bravely(foolishly) Murat galloped forward to rally Killer Colin's Italians.Despite fierce fighting the Italians were wiped out, but heroically Murat sped away from capture....yet died after being thrown off the bridge by his routing troops. Thus Colin goes into legend as the 'Killer of Colonels & Kings!'.

One of my biggest 'command decisions' was ( against the outcry of my sub-commander of the Young Guard,Roddy & the derision of Russian Gerry! ) was to put the Young Guard into garrisoning Losing. It was the right decision as wave after wave of Austrian regiments broke & routed against the rocks of the BUA & Young Guard.This cost the allies victory.

On the French left Russian Gerry plodded across the bog but failed to assault the Probstheida BUA.

It was on the left that the French elite veterans of 1/8 Leger battalion,Belair Brigade covered themselves in glory & achieved hero status. Despite being forced into square,&pounded by horse artillery,they saw off 3 regts of Lancers,Cossacks & Uhlans. They finished the game with 9 out of 28 remaining but still managed to beat off a two regiment infantry attack. All will be inducted into the Old Guard. A stunning performance.

Yes, Bob did lose the Guard Grenadier Cavalry but Russian Gerry & Austrian Barry forget that his handling of the Imperial Guard Lancers on that flank was impeccable & blunted the rest of Bill's cavalry. He retains the Emperor's confidence! Viva Bob!

Barry handled the 'BUA/Bog' controversy with aplomb. When you are being heckled loudly for different interpretations,by Jim,Gerry,Bob & myself, you need to remain cool under fire & he did.

Historically Napoleon lost this battle but the game produced a draw. We still had formidable reserves to come....but I was happy with the outcome.

A great bunch of gamers & a great day of war gaming & craic.

Superb organisation by the 3 musketeers Barry,Bob & Gerry.

Until the next time, adelante! Paul
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 am

Paul

What a very accurate picture you paint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those dastardly allies with sat - nav's, marching past us in the fog, threw a spanner in our plans, but our lads held them off at the pass, just about.

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding losing your Grenadiers, I'm sure we can paint up some more.

And yes well done Barry for remaining as cool as a cucumber martini when under a blitzkreig regarding several rule interpretations.

Hope to get another day arranged soon.

Toggy
Last edited by toggy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
billwargames
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by billwargames » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 am

I think the one day events in Scotland are proving to be very popular.
Bill........
biomed
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:40 am

I would like to add as the victorious allied commander that our battleplan worked flawlessly (that is what austrian history books read, google it !) .
We did not expect a hastily constructed part of the Maginot line fronted by the Rhine and the Pripet marshes just before the Corsican dwarf appeared. We have also recovered a very soggy, gaudily dressed corpse which we thought was from a local gay pride march. It would appear to be a man named Moira!?
hope your head has recovered Barry. You will no doubt have writers cramp due to your extensive re write of the rules.
Feign deafness. Madness is too easy .
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:47 pm

So that's colonels, brigadiers, generals, marshals and kings ticked off. Guess I'll have to try for an emperor next... any candidates?

Thanks to all for another fun day out in Irvine (who'd have thought 'fun' and Irvine in the same sentence). Loved the Emperor's plan of fighting to the last Italian, the massive cavalry traffic jam and of course Murat taking an early bath.

Posted some pics on my blog:

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04 ... ipzig.html
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by PaulPatrick » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Ha,ha,ha! I love the photo of Murat in the river.

"Colin kills Colonels & Kings!"