Scanian War 1675-1679 "Snapphane style"

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Scanian War 1675-1679 "Snapphane style"

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:33 pm

what I like most is the conversions of the Wargames factory figures which I did not think all that good, & a bit lacking in conversion potential especially the infantry.

However your making a silk purse out of a sows ear old chap.

:evil: Ginger
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 am

Thank you very much Ginger !

While you await me to paint the Dragoons I have some snapshot pictures of additional Dalregementet infantry that I just painted and amongst them the drummer and some of them charging.

More pictures at the blog

Best regards Michael
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:52 am

Hi

I have painted some NCO´s for my dalregemente, more at my blog.

Best regards Michael
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:07 am

Nicely done, Michael. Not sure why you started with such a dodgy provincial regiment though :lol: :lol:
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:23 am

Thnaks Matey !

You just taunting me, but also made me to find a Speach about the dalregementet held by a famouse Swedish historian. Sorry for the google translate and the long post, but I hope you all get it more or less right and thay you will manage to read it to the end.

"Dalregementet 375 years

Speech by Herman Lindqvist in Falun, May 27 2000
thext from: http://www.dalregementetsmuseer.se/03_S ... 000527.htm

Dalregementet turns 375 years - it is an impressive age , though actually the regiment much older than that. Including the regiment's predecessor, organized military troop of people from Dalarna , which are known to have participated in the realm of military events - it is estimated that, one can say that Dalregementets roots go back more than 500 years.

I did not have the privilege of being born in Dalarna or to get to do my military service at Dalregementet . However, I have almost all my life been blessed to live in Swedish history . There I met very early Warring Dalecarlians and from the first meeting impressed Dalfolket . There was something special with these hard- driven, stubborn , headstrong, self-conscious and proud Dalecarlians .

Not much has happened in the history of Sweden where not Dalfolket somehow plays a role - both men and women from Dalarna . Dalfolket was featured in all the major domestic upheavals, and in all of Sweden's war and often played soldiers from Dalarna a crucial role.

Dalregementet regarded for generations as the most reliable in the Swedish army. The task was particularly difficult and required much courage and boldness , then called the man on Dalmen , although Dalmen could not always promise anything definite , as Orsa company.

Dalfolket was obvious with this for well over 500 years ago, when Engelbrecht led the free mountain men against Danish soldiers and there were soldiers from Dalarna during Nils Sture's leadership won the battle of Brunkeberg 1471, when the Danish king hastily fled with knocked-out teeth . And it was , as we know , to the people of Dalarna , as the young Gustav Eriksson turned when he wanted to lead a new rebellion against the Danes , 1520th

He was only twenty-four years the young Eriksson, with a vase in his shield . He was related to Stures and he came here to only this were free of armed men , always ready to fight for their rights and all was now reeling in the kingdom. With Dalmen spearheaded transferred fight to victory.

On Midsummer Eve 1523 marched Gustav Vasa, who just turned 27 years , as nykorad king , into the liberated Stockholm . Since then, no foreign troops occupied the Stockholm and Sweden have remained a free country. In the fight Dalfolket played the decisive role. Then it was just Gustav Vasa's turn to fight the rebellious Dalmen and he never managed to subdue them completely.

During the 1500s and fought many bloody battles with arch enemy Denmark and dalafänikorna was with . Denmark had the time, since many hundreds of years , not only all the present southern Swedish provinces , but also Jämtland , Härjedalen and part of Dalarna .

Gustav Vasa and his sons Erik XIV , John III and Charles IX made ​​war also against Russia, where soldiers from Dalarna were included, as they obviously participated since Estonia became Swedish 1561. And they helped to expand the Swedish kingdom further east in the first major battle of Narva with Pontus De la Gardie.

When Duke Charles fought with King Sigismund . , Was Dalecarlians on Karl's side in the fighting in the Baltics. There, they had to also be involved in Karl's biggest fiasco , battle Kirkholm , where 60 percent of dalafänikorna obliterated , because of the king's insane strategy.

During the 1600s Sweden grew out of a European superpower.

New lands did empire bigger and we got more and more inhabitants. Berg Management , in progress since the Middle Ages , became of paramount importance for major power Sweden's prosperity . Sweden was for a time in the 1600s not only the world's largest cannon exporter but also the world's largest copper exporter - but we are exposed to too much iron and tar and all the handling , Dalarna had an important part .

As the empire grew, so did the need for a modern army . War Guard evolved from a rather primitive organization, into an efficient war machine , which at one stage of the 1600s was Europe's fastest and best army, thanks to a king who was also a brilliant military commander - Gustav II Adolf.

From Gustavus Adolphus also organized Dalfolket into this new modern Swedish army . Soldiers, from parishes in Dalarna formed eight companies , which in 1625 organized the first independent Dalregementet .

That's why you are talking about a 375 - year anniversary , so long , there has been an independent regiment here in Dalarna and from that time begins the soldiers from Dalarna , the first in Sweden , using their soldier names, many of them are still used.

If you study Dalregementets diaries , one can see that the soldiers here were featured in all major battles fought by Sweden in the 1600 - , 1700 - and 1800's . Winning names of Dalregementets banners , beaten where Dalecarlians played a crucial role , speaking their own language : Lützen , Leipzig, Lund, Landskrona , Narva , Duna , Holowczyn , Malatitze , Gadebusch, Kliszow and Praaga outside Warsaw.

Charles XII was Dalregementet as an elite unit , the future of combined engineering troops and commandos . The soldiers from Dalregementet was in fact often skilled carpenters and woodworkers , and time and again they were under enemy fire hit bridges over the rivers , and they were deployed where no one else could or dared .

The idea of ​​the allotted regiments worked well for a long time . Where did the boys from the same parishes adjacent. They spoke the same dialect and their officers had the same neighborhood. They knew each other and trusted each other.

And experience shows that this is true even today . In the hour of danger dare a soldier always a little more for their closest friends and relatives in the ranks, than for king and country or political ideas.

Dalmen was of course with at Poltava . There was Dalregementet on the very difficult task , namely in the infantry column, under General Roos management, time and again brought forward to storm an impossible Russian entrenchment , a redoubt . In that battle fell Dalregementets manager and all the regimental officers and the captains were only four left after the battle . Total survived only 400 men from Dalregementet .

They were taken with the other Swedish prisoners deep into Russia. It is a fact that all the Swedish soldiers and officers who were Russian prisoners , got fat offerings of Russian Tsar , only the changed page . BUT less than five percent of Swedish prisoners of war abandoned their king , their country or their religion. They were rather left as prisoners, yet they betrayed their country. When all was over , it was just a few of the prisoners from Dalarna who came home alive .

After the severe losses added new companies up and the regiment was full strength again . Many of those who were sent out in the wars had obviously out against their will. But it was not always so .

Many young men wanted to be a warrior for the adventurous and for the chance to work the way up . During Greatness happened that a drummer boy ended up as a nobleman and many a soldier made ​​brilliant careers in the growing army , where the need for skilled people was very large . There was always a lot of young men who voluntarily wanted to become soldiers. In addition, the soldier profession and soldiers cottage a certain status and respect in the village. The crofter soldier stood several notch above the usual farmhands .

It is completely wrong to believe , as many do in our time , that most farm boys were against war and always resist the policy at the time . So, it was not . The Swedish Empire rested largely on the peasantry and on his peasant army . If the farmers were unhappy , nothing went according to King plans and long times did the royal plans just fine.

BUT Dalkarlen have , as you know , is far from always found themselves in what Kungl. Majesty and The Powers decreed from Stockholm and then the highest state and military leaders been bad decisions and too much hit Dalarna , then the people here protested. It is an old tradition that never gets reported.

So it was for example in 1743 , when the Swedish government had brought an ultimately unsuccessful war against Russia , while the country was hit by crop failure , dyrtid and pestilence . Then got Dalmen enough. Dalregementet mutinied . Budkavlen went from village to village , sockenfanorna was taken down from the walls , and with muskets, swords, hötjugor and maces in their hands marched Dalecarlians , soldiers and civilians toward Stockholm . This was the Big Daldansen .

On 22 June 1743 , the revolution was close in Sweden - then stood over 4000 belligerent and armed Dalecarlians face to face against the army at Gustaf Adolf market square in Stockholm . In the pockets of some of the representatives from the different parishes were requirements of the various parish meetings wanted to bring forward . They had lists with them , names of over a hundred people , politicians, councilor and senior military officers , but also members of parliament from Dalarna , the peasants saw as corrupt .

Parliamentary men would be killed , the councilors postponed . The farmers from Hedemoravägen thought that the King would be executed - but most felt that it was enough that he was deposed .

There were demands to abolish the privileges and the four estates of the realm would be abolished - The farmers must be involved in government. Others demanded that all the land in the kingdom would be given to those who cultivated the land . The meeting demanded that the King of Sweden would be appointed in the general election .

It was thus claim that was as radical and sometimes more radical than those made ​​in the French Revolution more than forty years later , or in the Russian Revolution 170 years later.

The government was paralyzed , the king , that old and spattige Frederick I , was powerless and the people's wrath was glowing. It cooked in many landscapes, riots and fights were reported from many places. Had Dalmen the time had a leader who Engelbrekt or Gustav Vasa had enough Sweden has totally changed this summer June 22, 1743 . Now Dalfolkets management rather weak and uncertain.

Just then , when anything could happen , the Government received reinforcement from outside. Rested troops came home from Finland and the next morning they went to the attack . During the colonel for Älvsborgs Regiment, Carl Otto Lagercrantz ' leadership , killed at least 140 Dalecarlians there on the square. They were mowed down by artillery and massacred by cavalry with stabbing sabers . Over 3000 were arrested and incarcerated in primitive prison premises.

Six of the leaders beheaded , many others were whipping and was incarcerated for life in prisons far from their home towns. The rest had to make a humiliating march back to Dalarna , as convicts , barefoot and --headed . The ears had the colonel Lagercrantz ' berating of the soldier - he called them " damned rogues , rascals and orphans " - that would " Taming of merit with fire and sword , with wheels and broken on ." In his report to the king , he said that dalfolket had " been crying , howling and trembling of the joints ." And he promised to dalfolket would not get up on two hundred years back . So this was for 257 years ago .

So shattered the last popular armed uprising in Sweden . Never again would a landscape attempt to rise against the central government in Stockholm and thus ended the last vestige of the old provinces internal autonomy.

Dalregementet course, was also in 1814 when Norway was conquered and joined in a union with Sweden . That war has been called Sweden's last , though you enough, to the surprise of many today , have to say Sweden LATEST war.

The story is does not end with us. We have , so to speak, not caught in history's goal. The only thing one can say with certainty that one can learn from history , it is that everything changes , then it will become in the future.

During World War II the Germans were close to breaking into Sweden on several occasions. Dangerous was the summer in 1943. Under the German plan of attack as General Rudolf Bamler had sketched in all its details, would be a strong German armored column break in over the Norwegian border and come this way .

It was lucky for Dalarna that it never became a German attack , but maybe it was just very lucky for the Germans that they do not come here, for Dalregementet was in place and this would probably become stiff resistance . Such was the tradition in Dalarna . Dalfolket had in any event moved to it a lot in general Bamlers plans.

I have raised all these bloody deeds , not because I want to pay tribute to the war , but to remind us that since Gustav Vasa came here and asked for help Sweden has fought 31 wars. War , wartime and famine was until 1814 the normal to the Swedish people , long periods of peace was the exception. Wars was not only to conquer other countries or to kings had become mad , wars were often defensive war . And defensive war , we will certainly get in the future as well.

All of Sweden , as they look today , is the result of often long and bloody war. Sweden has changed the look of the map many times, nothing we have received for free. Not the right to speak our own language , not the right to be Swedes and having your own country . Nothing is obvious or free.

Well over a hundred thousand Swedish and Finnish soldiers died during the blue-yellow banner just under Charles XII's war , among them were thousands Dalecarlians . Most of all these dead fallen not on the battlefield , but died of disease and hardship.

And at home in Soldier crofts and the officer around the country handled the cottages and farms of the soldiers' wives and officer wives , often for long periods , sometimes several years , did not have any news at all about their men , if they were alive or dead , if they were in captivity , if they had been invalids or heroes.

And if the news of the death came, it was just to leave the cottage for the next soldier 's family must move into. It often happened that the soldier widows had to pull on the roads, begging of food, for there were no pensions. Relatives and friends were the only safety net.

Despite all these hardships , despite all the difficulties and hardships , did most of his duty. People bark mixed in the bread when times were bad . They went to church on Sunday and they asked for better times, but they endured , men and women, thanks to his tenacity , his courage and his devils embrace .

In a few weeks Dalregementets fairytale end forever. The regiment has lost his last battle . The fault is not your battle was decided by others, far from here . In future defense is no place for this historic regiment. How has it been for the story many times before. The defense has been slashed , regiments ceased to exist . As times have changed , and Sweden have been forced renovate again . This was most recently twice in the 1900s.

Today's politicians are going to plan for tomorrow's war and peace. It is no easy thing and I hope they know what they do , though I personally , that does not have any office or retirement to defend in Sweden - I allow myself a certain amount of doubt .

All of you who still bear Dalregementets uniform , do it with pride. You are the last link in a long chain of fifteen generations of reliable and motivated soldiers. Your ancestors were involved in building , shaping and defending Sweden . Some of you will continue your profession in other defense organizations , most of them will come to become civilians eventually.

But I do not think any of you will ever forget that you have been soldiers in Dalregementet - one of Sweden's and the world's oldest , finest and most glorious regiments.

Swedish history will never forget Dalfolket . Thank You Have!"

janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Wonderful write-up, Michael :)
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm

janner wrote:Wonderful write-up, Michael :)
So now you ofcourse understan which Swedish regiment you will paint first when you start your GNW army, of for that matter in any Swedish army sins the Vikings :D

Best regards Michael
WillieB
Private
Private

Post by WillieB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Obviously a regiment with a history to be very proud of.
It's a shame that current politics and economics often dictate that such units can't be given the place of honour they deserve.
But as long as there are people like you Michael they will certainly never be forgotten.
Well done Sir!

WillieB
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. And then, in that very moment
that I love him, I destroy him.
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 pm

dalauppror wrote:
janner wrote:Wonderful write-up, Michael :)
So now you ofcourse understan which Swedish regiment you will paint first when you start your GNW army, of for that matter in any Swedish army sins the Vikings :D

Best regards Michael
It's a deal :D
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Got to be a bit of local patriot :D

I looking forward to see your Dalregemente Stephen !

Best regards Michael
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:08 pm

last addition to the Dalregemente are the two banner carriers, more pictures at my blog

Best regards Michael
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 pm

The flags look great! When I get to my GNW armies for my massive re-basing project, will have to look at painting up the Dalregiment. As you mentioned earlier on, great historical background on the unit. Thanks again for sharing.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you very much Greg !

Dalregementet is a must in every GNW army but the Facings should be Yellow during the GNW (They only used Red until about 1680).

Best regards Michael
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Michael,
Thank you for the bit of information. It seems that not matter what period you game, there are those must units you have to field...at least I do. Now that you have given some insights on the facing color change, I may have to do the Dalregiment for the Scanian wars. I have to look at my books on both the GNW and Scanian Wars if the flag has changed or not.

Thanks again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:26 am

Nice to heare Greg.

If you refering to the Höglund books from Acedia press you should get good information. http://www.acedia.se/engbok.htm

Not sure if the flag changed, if so it shouldn´t have been much, I choose to use a GNW flag for my Scanian War minis...sorry;)

Best regards Michael
Last edited by dalauppror on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.