Great Northern War 'Active' firing line?

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
WillieB
Private
Private

Great Northern War 'Active' firing line?

Post by WillieB » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:02 am

I know the Swedish firing line won't be in the first wave of figures, but I would just like to push this idea around a bit.

Is there such a thing as an 'active' firing line? By which I mean figures not just standing still and giving fire or loading, but more like figures firing under pressure. ie crouching, leaning forward etc.

IMHO this would combine beautifully with say pikemen/command ready to charge after the last point blank volley, and really convey the sense of agressivenes that was so typical for Swedish units.
I've already read the - sensible- comments that the Swedish hardly fired any volleys, but the ones they did fire- at a very short distance- was certainly an essential part of the whole tactic?

They would also be very appropiate for skirmish games I think.

Your thoughts gentlemen?
Last edited by WillieB on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. And then, in that very moment
that I love him, I destroy him.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Great Northern War 'Active' firing line?

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

I rather like the idea and it would suit the Swedish tactic which was to use a proper volley or two by a whole formation at short range before closing in to mellee whilst their enemy was still shaken by impact of the volley. Something not entirety unlike the British voles and bayonet of latter wars.

:evil: Ginger
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 am

Definitely worth considering Willie... we'll see how the funds go!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Barry:
barr7430 wrote:Definitely worth considering Willie... we'll see how the funds go!
FWIW, I agree with Ginger on this and hope it can be included. I like the sense of "activity" units depicted thusly impart to the tabletop.

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare