swedish livgardet grenadiers

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

swedish livgardet grenadiers

Post by turrabear » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:59 pm

would anyone know if the Swedish livgardet grenadier regiment carried a standard
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: swedish livgardet grenadiers

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

The grenadiers were one of the battalions of the Livgarde. Quindia shows flags for them in the Shop.
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Tacitus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 pm

The grenadier companies of the Livgarde did not carry any colours. The Livgarde grenadiers were first organised into three grenadier companies in the autumn of 1700 and three grenadier colours were manufactured for them during the winter of 1701-02 (with flaming grenades in the corners). But these were not issued to the expanding grenadier force, which was soon six companies strong, and were instead given to newly raised regular companies.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Tacitus wrote:The grenadier companies of the Livgarde did not carry any colours. The Livgarde grenadiers were first organised into three grenadier companies in the autumn of 1700 and three grenadier colours were manufactured for them during the winter of 1701-02 (with flaming grenades in the corners). But these were not issued to the expanding grenadier force, which was soon six companies strong, and were instead given to newly raised regular companies.
thanks for the info tacitus.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 am

Tacitus,

could you expand on your answer please as the sentence is slightly ambiguous. When you say the grenadier companies were given to the newly raised 'regular' companies, regular companies of what formation? The Livgarde? If so, was this part of the existing 1st or 2nd battalions? This would be helpful to know.

Incidentally, Quindia has noted on the flag sheet that the standard ion question was issued to regular companies (as advised by Tacitus)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:16 am

No, I meant in my post that the grenadier colours were not issued to the Livgarde grenadier companies as originally intended, but to three new regular companies of the Livgarde instead (as Quindia has noted in the flag sheet).

At the outbreak of the war the Livgarde was 1 900 men strong organised in 12 companies and three battalions. Of these 100 men were grenadiers and they were distributed among all companies.

In April 1700 the Livgarde was reorganised for field service. 100 men deemed unfit for field service were to stay in Stockholm as a palace guard. At the same time the number of grenadier was doubled to 200 men. But they were still distributed among the 12 regular companies in the now 1 800 men strong Livgarde field regiment.

After the experiences of the successful landing in Zealand the Livgarde was yet again reorganised in September 1700. The number of grenadiers was increased to 300 men and they were now concentrated in three grenadier companies. In order to increase officer density the number of companies was increased to 18 while the total strength was still 1 800 men. This also meant that the original 12 colours were not enough for all Livgarde companies. The three grenadier companies, who were to form a small grenadier battalion, were among those who for time being did not carry colours.

Further enlargements came in 1701 when company size was increased from 100 men to 108, and in 1702 when an additional three regular companies were raised. The new 18 colours that had been manufactured in the winter of 1701-1702 were still not enough for the growing Guard regiment so when they were delivered the three grenadier colours were given to the new regular companies and the grenadiers had to continue to fight without colours.

Finally in August 1703 the Livgarde reached the size that Karl XII wanted his Guard to have for the remainder of the war. Three new grenadier companies were raised, bringing the total strength of the field regiment to 24 companies (2 592 men) organised into four battalions (one of them a full size grenadier battalion). No grenadier colours were ordered, neither before or after Poltava when a very slow reconstruction of the Livgarde began (not completed until the Norwegian campaign of 1718).
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Bravo!

superbly clear explanation Tacitus.. thank you!

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Barry,
Will we have attacking grenadiers soon.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Oh yes Dannie.. we will!

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:47 pm

barr7430 wrote:Oh yes Dannie.. we will!
will they have tricornes or grenadier caps .
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:23 pm

They will have both.

We've been very busy behind the scenes recently. The Swedish infantry are nearly finished although the grenadiers will be the last to complete.

I have this morning seen photographs of marching pikemen in karpus, standing command in mixed tricorne and karpus, attacking command in mixed tricorne and karpus and charging 1st and 2nd line musketeers in karpus.

The final infantry codes being sculpted now are:
Command Advancing
Musketeers in tricorne charging 1st and 2nd ranks
Musketeers standing in in karpus and tricorne
Grenadiers in various combinations of above and in a variety of headgear.

I have been painting masters for the last week and should have about 25 samples to post up this week together with much more info and photos going to the investor group.

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:11 pm

barr7430 wrote:They will have both.

We've been very busy behind the scenes recently. The Swedish infantry are nearly finished although the grenadiers will be the last to complete.

I have this morning seen photographs of marching pikemen in karpus, standing command in mixed tricorne and karpus, attacking command in mixed tricorne and karpus and charging 1st and 2nd line musketeers in karpus.

The final infantry codes being sculpted now are:
Command Advancing
Musketeers in tricorne charging 1st and 2nd ranks
Musketeers standing in in karpus and tricorne
Grenadiers in various combinations of above and in a variety of headgear.

I have been painting masters for the last week and should have about 25 samples to post up this week together with much more info and photos going to the investor group.
looking forward to seeing these mr h.
Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:23 am

I'm new to researching the Great Northern War … and I must say, the information I am finding on the forums, along with the "missing" details of uniforms is really helping me out. Thank you gentlemen!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:15 am

You'll pick up loadsa stuff here Ulrich.. stick around

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:47 am

Ulrich wrote:I'm new to researching the Great Northern War … and I must say, the information I am finding on the forums, along with the "missing" details of uniforms is really helping me out. Thank you gentlemen!
Ulrich you might want to get a copy of lars-eric hoglund's the great nothern war 1700-1721 or visit tactus site which is well worth a vist.