Swedish cavalry in the Scanian War

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Swedish cavalry in the Scanian War

Post by Charlie Dozen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

I've seen several pictures of Swedish cavalry during the Scanian War with their coats turned back, is this accurate or was it after the Scanian War when they started doing this?
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Swedish cavalry in the Scanian War

Post by Tacitus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Swedish cavalry could go either way during the Scanian War. But apparently only during the battles, otherwise they seem to exclusively have worn the coats without turnbacks. And even during the battles it seems to have been more common to not have turnbacks (judging by the battle paintings).
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charlie Dozen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for that reply Tacitus, that pretty much confirms what I had read, the troopers would fasten the coats back before going into battle. I can't remember if it was because it was more convenient to mount/dismount or what. I'm doing the Scanian War in 1/72nd scale, the figures that I'm using for Swedish cavalry are the Zvezda Great Northern War Swedish dragoons (they have the turnbacks). I remove the tricorne and replace it with a wide brimmed hat. For the Danes I will probably use the old 25mm MiniFig cavalrymen from their Malburian range as they don't have the turnbacks. I'll be mounting them on the Zvezda horses as they match up size wise pretty good.
By the way I really appreciate all the work that you've put into with your Tacitus website, a friend told me about it several years ago.
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 am

Tacitus wrote:Swedish cavalry could go either way...
Must.. fight.. the obvious.. response...
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:35 am

janner wrote:
Tacitus wrote:Swedish cavalry could go either way...
Must.. fight.. the obvious.. response...
Yes... Yes you must!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.