GNW Norwegian Flags

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

GNW Norwegian Flags

Post by RogerC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:22 am

Hi All, my chum Mark wants to add a Norwegian Brigade to his Danish GNW army. Any thoughts on who does the Norwegian Flags?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: GNW Norwegian Flags

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm

RogerC wrote:Hi All, my chum Mark wants to add a Norwegian Brigade to his Danish GNW army. Any thoughts on who does the Norwegian Flags?

Uhm.. :roll: I may be wrong but was not Denmark and Norway in a personal union from 1537 to 1814? Therefore I believe that Flags of Norge units would have looked similiar to those of the Danes. Eventually they had Teritorrial crests or coat of Arms in the center?
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi, yes I get that but what I really need is to tie 3 particular regiments to flags that will look something like, perhaps Danish flags we can amed a bit to match them?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

RogerC wrote:Hi, yes I get that but what I really need is to tie 3 particular regiments to flags that will look something like, perhaps Danish flags we can amed a bit to match them?

Try to get some more Info from Tacitus and/or his Website
http://www.tacitus.nu/gnw/armies/denmark/norway.htm

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:50 pm

For which 3 Norwegian regiments do you need flags?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:59 pm

The following is from Dan Schorrs Notes (I hope he wont kill me for copy them :? )

"...In addition, the Trondhjemske Regiment was divided into the 1.and 2. Trondhjemske Regiments....3 Østland regiments...."

1711:

"On August 20th 1711 Løvendal had assembled for the invasion of Bohuslen - Operational Corps around Fredrikshald:
Dragoons: 8 companies (from Kruse’s and Øtken’s regiments) – 1,000 men.
Infantry: 38 ½ companies (from Cicignon’s, Akershusiske, Smaalenske, Bergenhusiske, Vesterlenske and 2. Trondhjemske regiments together with the Fyrrør – around 5,000 men."

I believe Trondheims Coat of Arms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Trondheim

will be easy to find and so will be Bergen :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_a ... n_1531.jpg
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:00 pm

danschorr wrote:For which 3 Norwegian regiments do you need flags?

The "lurker" has beaten me :D