Other Scanian War uniforms?

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
rsk112

Other Scanian War uniforms?

Post by rsk112 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Are there any references to the uniforms worn by armies other than Sweden or Denmark? Particularily uniforms worn by the Norwegian army? Or brandenburg?
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Other Scanian War uniforms?

Post by Grenadier » Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 pm

rsk112,

Well, I too, am interested in this conflict as well as it's later iteration, the Great Northern War. Here is my library of references for the Scanian War 1675-1679(I wish I spoke Danish or Swedish so I could get primary info!)

Scanian War 1675-1679 Colours and uniforms, Hoglund, Acedia Press.
In depth coverage of Swedish and Finnish units. When I purchased this, I assumed it was equal coverage of all nations....oh well.

Danish Uniforms, Colours and Standards 1675-1679, Hasselager & Snorrason on the old Dan Schorr website.
In depth coverage of the Danes, if you can find it.

The Prussian Army 1675-1743, Cranz, Uniformology Book No.7
Has three plates showing Prussian uniforms.

The Great Northern War 1700-1721, II, Hogland, Salnas, Bespalow, Acedia Press. Although focused on the later conflict, it does have good coverage of Norwegian units that can be useful for the period.
Cheers,
Brian
Grenadier
"In what space, sir? In what space?"
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Somewhere I have a booklet on the uniforms of the Brandenburg army at Rügen. It goes with a set of flats issued by Berliner Zinnfiguren. I think if might be at my vacation house, but it will look for it the next time I go and post the info if I can find it.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:19 pm

As I posted above, Berliner Zinnfiguren does a set of flats depicting the Great Elector landing at Rügen. The set is accompanied by some historical data, including the Brandenburg OOB. There are also a number of photographs of painted figures. While the written matierals indicate that the painted figures are supposed to represent specific units, I can't tell which photos go with which unit. The units represented in the photos are:

12 photos represent Infantry regiments Barfuß, Farrell, Goltz, Holstein, Kurprinz, Leibgarde, Schöning and Generals

12 photos represent Dragoon regiments Derfflinger and Grumpkow (Leibdragoner), Reiter Regimens Anhalt, Kurprinz, Leibregiment, Trabanten-Garde, Artillerie and "Marine."

Since it does not link units to specific photos, the best I can do is give the info from the photos:

Infantry:

Blue coat, white cuffs and lining, buff waistcoat and breeches, red stockings

Blue coat, yellow cuff and lining, blue waistcoat and breeches, light blue stockings

Drummer, light blue coat with red and white lace, yellow drum, light blue breeches, red stockings

NCO red coat, blue, cuffs, linings, waistcoat breeches and stockings

Blue coat, res cuffs, linings, waistcoat and stockings, buff breeches.

Red coat, green cuffs, buff waistcoat and breeeches, blue stockings

Officer, brownish red coat with red cuffs, white stockings, carries a red and green quartered flag with what appears to be Frederick William's monogram, and electors crown, with a grenade on each side on the monogram. Goes with red-coated regiment.

Drummer, all blue with scarlet lace, red drum. Probably goes with yellow-cuffed regiment above

Red coated officer with white cuffs, waist coat, stockings, gold lace, buff breeches, carries white flag with what appears to Hohenzollern coat of arms.

Blue coat, white cuffs, lining, stockings, waistcoat, buff breeches

Grey coat, orange cuffs and waistcoat, buff breeches, light blue stockings

Blue coat, red cuffs, lining, waistcoat, stockings, buff breeches

Grey coat, green cuffs, red stockings, carries a green flag with red eagle

Cavalry:

Buff coat red cuffs and neck wear, red housings trimmed with double white edgeings, red Brandenburg eagles on white grounds on shabraque and pistol housing covers

Buff coat blue cuffs, yellow buttons, white lace on arms, plain blue houses with double white edgeings.

Buff coat, light blue cuffs, yellow buttons, officers the same with gold lace, light blue dragoon standard, plain housings with white edgings with yellow in the middle of them

Blue coat, blue cuffs, gold lace, buff breeches, blue houses, edged gold with
red eagles on white field. My guess is that these are the Trabants.

Belts for all infantry and cavalry are generally buff, with some with white edges. Cartridge boxes are brown leather. Hats are mainly grey but some are various shades of light brown and a few are black. Some pikemen have helmets and back and breast plates, others have breastplates with hats. Officers appear to have some leeway in their uniforms and and have silver sashes.

I hope this helps. I'd post the photos but they are under copyright. If you have any questions, please pm me.
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Went to the site to order the book only to discover it will cost me over 60 euros including mailing to the States! Ouch! I don't need it THAT badly. Thanks for the post.
Grenadier
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:03 am

Here are photos of the painted Rügen set that are on the BZ website. They can be enlarged.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:30 am

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:58 am

Grenadier wrote:Went to the site to order the book only to discover it will cost me over 60 euros including mailing to the States! Ouch! I don't need it THAT badly. Thanks for the post.
Eventually you may poke the owners of "On Military Matters" a bit as they seem to have those Zinnfigur booklets too?

Or you take a look in the 17th century list
http://onmilitarymatters.com/pages/dfca ... eriod=1710

or just search for "Brandenburg"
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Ach meinen!! OMM DOES carry some of the Zinnfiguren, but not under the category listing on the sidebar. Alas, not the Brandenburg one. However, I did order up a copy of "Eagles Ascending" by Megehee which looks promising. Thanks for the tip.
Grenadier