Helion No 26 Swedish Army in GNW

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Helion No 26 Swedish Army in GNW

Post by Old John » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am

just rec'd and had quick scan of this book, looks very useful, good illustrations of uniforms and flags ties in nicely with the earlier Russian Army in GNW, i do like this series
cheers Old John
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Helion No 26 Swedish Army in GNW

Post by turrabear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm

My copy arrived to day .just back from offshore so i,ll have a scan of it tonight.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I am about half way through, a good read with lots of useful images, only criticism is all the errors, lots of silly little things, the author can of course be forgiven as its not his first language but the editor should have picked some of this stuff up.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 pm

I just finished a quick read. Overall a nice introduction to the subject. The descriptions of the selected battles are nicely done, although relatively brief. I noticed some errors in the battle descriptions, at least based on other sources I’ve read. The uniform plates are very nice, but I didn’t see what period the uniform schematics were intended to cover. At least from what I read, the uninitiated would think that the same uniform was worn by every regiment throughout the war, which was not the case. There is much more uniform and organization information in Höglund’s book,but that book is out of print and much more expensive. However, this book does have a lot of info for 100 pages.

All in all, I would recommend the book as an introduction and to those already familiar with the GNW who, like me, who want books in English on the subject.