Combine Units

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
ThomO

Combine Units

Post by ThomO » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Can units that have taken casualties be combined? We were playing last night and I had a lone survivor of one unit who did not run away and I thought that he could join up with a like type unit, but could not find it in the rule book. I had thought I saw it in the rules, but could be confusing rules from different games.

Thanks
quindia
General
General

Re: Combine Units

Post by quindia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 pm

It might not be in there, but yes, you can do that as long as they are similar skill levels (d6, d8, etc) and similar type (foot or mounted) AND as long as it won't make the new unit more than 12 rank and file (not including characters). You might restrict the weapon type as (a pikeman can't join a unit of muskets), but I generally let that go.

Sometimes I play a variant called Lone Survivor... when a unit is reduced to a single model and that figure passes his morale test with 'carry on' his die is increased by +1 step and he is treated as a character the rest of the game (immune to further morale tests, save on the wound chart, etc). The guy is obviously a bad - to have survived (or maybe a Flashman anti-hero deserving of the wound save). Of course, you need to name him. Just leave the unit card in the deck and treat it as a character card for the rest of the game.

Hope that helps!
airbornegrove26
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by airbornegrove26 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 am

Very cool idea. I remember battle ground ww2 had a similar rule.
ThomO

Post by ThomO » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks, yes it does.