Cultist character questions.

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cultist character questions.

Post by Efoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 am

Hi there,

My two warbands are coming along nicely (pictures will follow soon), but I did had some specific rule questions.

The Ghoul, enemy units/characters need to test to be able to shoot or charge him.

1. How does this testing work? Does each individual model in a unit need to test to shoot/fight him? And how does this work for a unit wanting to charge him? Only figures that succeed can move in contact while the others hang back? And testing again when actually fighting him?

2. How does this work when he joins a unit? (with the help of the leader/hero). Do the enemies need to test if they want to charge/shoot the unit he has joined? Or, should models fail the test, shoot/ charge other figures in the ghoul's units but ignore the ghoul?

The master of hounds.

3. Hounds are hard to hit, but the master is a normal figure. How does this work for enemy units shooting the master and his hounds?

4. Hounds are "very fast and hard to hit", but they have a speed of normal infantry, right?

5. What happens if the master is killed? Do the hounds become a separate unit? (I think I know this one, the attacks of the master is booster by the hounds, so the hounds scurry of the battlefield when the master is slain). (and how about the bit in the text that says that the hounds will fight to the death without testing?)

6. The master gains D3 extra attacks when attacking (up to the number of hounds?). Do you need to keep rolling this D3 when the number of hounds are dwindling? Or does the master for example needs to roll a D2 if only two hounds are left? Or just a D3 with a maximum of 2?

7. The text says: Enemy characters attacked by hounds need to test to fight back. Does this mean that non-character models do not need to test? Or do all enemy models need to test to fight back? (and how about enemy hounds?)

8. And "enemy characters attacked by hounds". Does this mean the hounds do attack by themselves? or are the attacks of the master boosted as in the text? And enemy characters attacking the master should test to attack him as well?

The Witch may use her dark magic on the enemy when she makes contact with the enemy

9. When does the Witch roll for her powers? Is there any combat when she rolls for her powers? And how does this work when she is joined by a unit?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am a bit confused by the workings of the characters.

Thanks!
quindia
General
General

Re: Cultist character questions.

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 pm

The Ghoul, enemy units/characters need to test to be able to shoot or charge him.

1. How does this testing work? Does each individual model in a unit need to test to shoot/fight him? And how does this work for a unit wanting to charge him? Only figures that succeed can move in contact while the others hang back? And testing again when actually fighting him?

If a unit wants to shoot or charge, the unit tests only once. Characters attached to a unit are subject to the throw of the unit. If successful, all models in the unit, including characters may fight.

Note that if an attached character's card comes up and the unit hasn't acted yet (because their card hasn't appeared this turn NOT because they failed to act because they were cowering from the ghoul) in the turn, the character may choose to leave the unit and shoot/charge on his own in which case the character will roll his own test.

2. How does this work when he joins a unit? (with the help of the leader/hero). Do the enemies need to test if they want to charge/shoot the unit he has joined? Or, should models fail the test, shoot/ charge other figures in the ghoul's units but ignore the ghoul?

Yes, enemies must test to charge a unit to which the ghoul is attached. If they fail, they cannot target or charge the unit.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

The Witch may use her dark magic on the enemy when she makes contact with the enemy

9. When does the Witch roll for her powers? Is there any combat when she rolls for her powers? And how does this work when she is joined by a unit?

The witch may roll for her powers on her card (or the unit card if attached, though she must contact an enemy model, not simply be part of a unit in contact). She may instead choose to attack with her poisoned dagger. She cannot use a power AND fight normally.

If she is charged she hasn't had time to properly prepare her witchcraft and simply fights with her poisoned dagger.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:16 pm

The master of hounds.

3. Hounds are hard to hit, but the master is a normal figure. How does this work for enemy units shooting the master and his hounds?

A unit is always the target, rather than an individual model. In this instance we assume that enemies are more worried about the ravening monsters within six inches of them. Shooting casualties default to the dogs... However, the rule for hitting attached characters (page 9) should apply.

4. Hounds are "very fast and hard to hit", but they have a speed of normal infantry, right?

They do indeed move at normal speed.

5. What happens if the master is killed? Do the hounds become a separate unit? (I think I know this one, the attacks of the master is booster by the hounds, so the hounds scurry of the battlefield when the master is slain). (and how about the bit in the text that says that the hounds will fight to the death without testing?)

... I'm actually going to refer this to Barry. I think in a game with two players, it may be best to remove the dogs if the master is killed. However an umpired game might see the wild dogs become part of the referee's arsenal.

The 'fight to death' bit simply means the master and hounds do not need take morale tests.

6. The master gains D3 extra attacks when attacking (up to the number of hounds?). Do you need to keep rolling this D3 when the number of hounds are dwindling? Or does the master for example needs to roll a D2 if only two hounds are left? Or just a D3 with a maximum of 2?

The master always rolls D3. While the maximum number of attacks is limited by the number in the pack, we assume he is better at controlling them as numbers dwindle. Of course there is no need to roll if he has only a single hound... just add +1.

7. The text says: Enemy characters attacked by hounds need to test to fight back. Does this mean that non-character models do not need to test? Or do all enemy models need to test to fight back? (and how about enemy hounds?)

That should say 'Enemy models attacked by hounds need to test to fight back.'

8. And "enemy characters attacked by hounds". Does this mean the hounds do attack by themselves? or are the attacks of the master boosted as in the text? And enemy characters attacking the master should test to attack him as well?

Models must test to attack the master as well. Picture a whirling melee rather than static combatants paired off neatly. People fighting within five feet of these dogs are ALMOST as worries about them as their comrade whose leg is being savaged!
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Many many thanks! And so fast as well! Thank you sir,
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Keep 'em coming!
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:25 am

Yes one more! Just for the sake of clarity.

The ghoul; enemies need to test if they want to shoot or charge the ghoul or a unit with the ghoul.

So no testing for the combat round itself right? once the unit found their nerve to fight this monster they will fight. correct? (in the text it hints that the unit should test if they want to shoot, charge or fight)

And how about units charged by the ghoul? Do they need to test or will be unable to fight back?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Yes to both... Only one test is required... If they charge, they fight!

Also if charged by the ghoul, they must test to fight back.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for the answers!

We playtested the game and we loved it! Very thematic and full of story. Event cards did add a nice flavour too. Great stuff.

Yet, I hardly dare to ask: I am sorry to have a few more questions after our game.

The text about the cult leader says that enemy units/characters activated within 12" are degraded a die. In our game the enemy got within 12", activated, charged, won and the loser passed the morale test. End of turn. Next turn the cultist unit activated first and a combat round followed.

11. Are the enemies still degrades a die? They are not yet activated that turn (or are they? for they fight in a combat within 12")

12. Can the master of hounds join a unit? We assumed he could not for he is like a unit on itself.

13. Units charged by the hounds must test to fight back. How about the other way around? Do they need to test to charge the hounds? (like the ghoul?).

Many thanks in advance.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:37 pm

14. If a combat is unresolved, a combat round is fought every time a unit or character card is drawn. Correct? So in an extreme situation like 6 times in a single turn?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:41 pm

11. The cult leaders ability is passive... All units within 12" loose one die step. I see that was confusing as written.

12. No the Master of Hounds cannot join a unit.

13. Yes the dogs should be treated like the ghoul... Models must test to charge them.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Efoe wrote:14. If a combat is unresolved, a combat round is fought every time a unit or character card is drawn. Correct? So in an extreme situation like 6 times in a single turn?
Remember attached characters normally act on the unit card. Unattached characters involved in a Multi-unit melee fight on their own card. Yes there are extreme examples where an on going combat may see units fighting several times.

Something else to remember. Units in CLOSE ORDER fight with ALL models in a unit, not just those in contact. An independent character may be attacked by an entire unit, not just those he can reach! While having independent characters run amok may seem like a good idea, it can be very lethal to isolated models to suffer eight, ten, or twelve attacks!
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:56 pm

That explains a lot! thank you kindly! (And within 15 minutes answered? A+ service ;) )
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I am crouched over the keyboard awaiting questions... :mrgreen:

In the end, the answer might be 'I don't know, use what works best for your group'. I will always endeavor to answer questions, explain the reason behind a rule, or dispense advice if the question falls outside of the rules we've set down.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:45 am

LOL, yeah, I can imagine that somehow. ;) But seriously, great stuff that all the questions get answered as fast as they are.

As for the rules, well, all rule-sets are written with a certain mindset and a few "hidden-laws". By reading your answers I see much clearer in how the rules are meant to be read and it makes much more sense. As for the game, I am having a great time painting my armies, looking for figures and characters, upgrading my scenery collection. Soon pictures and a few real games will follow.

In our test-game we played with one character and one unit on both sides. (and added 4 blanc cards to 'reduce' the reload/event card influence). It was hilarious and great fun. Even while I play tabletop games for over 18 years now, it brought me something new. And a certain "lightheartedness" in the game that I haven't seen in a long time. And yet it was tense too. So thank you both for the game!