Question about Morale Checks

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Question about Morale Checks

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 pm

My question is concerning morale check when a group has split up into multiple sub groups. Example: In out last game, the English player split up his 12 Musketeers into 2 six-figure units. Bother were on complete opposite sides of the play area, and really didn't have any line of sight of each other - not sure if that matter. A morale check had to be made by one group due to it's loss in a close combat. Will results apply to that group or the original 12 musketeer unit?

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Question about Morale Checks

Post by obriendavid » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 pm

The morale check should just be for the group affected not the original unit size, this makes small units very brittle from morale effects which is why we generally never split them up in our games but I know Clarence does.
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Dave,
That's what we ended up doing; just the group that was affected. Just wanted to get clarification.

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Actually, I try not to split recruit units unless necessary because as Dave pointed out they are likely to flee at the first sign of trouble. I do like to rearrange a pair of identical veteran units into one group of twelve and one of four... A unit of twelve d8 models is very tough. I keep the unit of four in reserve to hold an enemy objective or support the main unit as required.

I also generally avoid taking elite units when choosing my army unless I can afford to use slots for two and then I always combine these into a single unit on the tabletop. If I do end up with a single elite choice, I generally try to add a couple of characters to give the unit more weight and may still use them as a tactical reserve rather than a front line unit.

The total number of models in a force is very important for determining the End of Game morale test. You will find it is often better to have more troops than skilled troops since elites die just as easily as recruits!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 am

quindia wrote: The total number of models in a force is very important for determining the End of Game morale test. You will find it is often better to have more troops than skilled troops since elites die just as easily as recruits!
As we found out on much playtesting, it's amazing how often my Moorish recruits were still there at the end while the drilled and elite units had long gone and even me rolling 12xD6's can usually score a couple of hits.
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:51 am

Gents,
Mmmmm...something to think about. I can recall a few games where my elite type troops were gone quick and the recruit figures were still giving a fight.

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Redmist1122 wrote:Gents,
Mmmmm...something to think about. I can recall a few games where my elite type troops were gone quick and the recruit figures were still giving a fight.

Thanks.
We were also surprised how often our Heroes were killed.
At first reading they seem to be very strong so we probably threw them into lots of action but as soon as they were hit it was amazing how many 1's we could roll for effect, especially Toggy :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 am

Dave,
I know what you mean...math kills!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:31 am

Toggy is now receiving therapy for stress having seen his heroes killed so many times by young kids who usually launch attacks by recruit units against his characters and killing him outright. He now runs when kids approach our display games. :lol:

I've actually stopped taking elite units as their small size makes them too brittle from shooting, combat and morale, I can still have them failing tests as easily even though they are using d10's against the recruits d6's.
Cheers
Dave
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Post by Joe Legan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Quanity has a quality all its own.

Joe