Tangiers Prisoner rescue

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Tangiers Prisoner rescue

Post by Joe Legan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Played a scenario loosely based on Mr O Brien's. First time muskets were not overpowering. :) Unfortunately this put Lt Prescot in a pickle.
Found here: http://Platoonforward.blogspot.com

Enjoy

Joe
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Tangiers Prisoner rescue

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 am

Good looking game Joe, your prisoners are certainly better clothed than mine. :D Still no misfires on your shooting? You need to get Gerry to come along and show you how it's done :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:36 pm

I can cheerfully say that I've kept my end up with losing 8 men this morning to misfires, with 3 out of 4 men in one firing round!! Go figure!!!! :shock:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Gerryjd wrote:I can cheerfully say that I've kept my end up with losing 8 men this morning to misfires, with 3 out of 4 men in one firing round!! Go figure!!!! :shock: Gerry
Either your troops need more training or you need new dice, are you sure they only have one 1 printed on them? :lol:
You must dread everytime the reload card come up :wink:
Cheers
Dave
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Post by Joe Legan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Wow that is some bad luck! :roll: I have had some misfires and I think it does add "color" that will be missing from later years. My question is how unreliable were the muskets? Could you really lose 3-4 men in one go? ( It does make for some great gaming stories!)
Not being an expert by any means that still seems high. As you can guess I have modified this rule as well. When I roll all my To Hit dice I also roll a single D6. If that D6 comes up a "1" then ONE of the To Hit "ones" will be live and counted. Thus there is still the same chance of a catastrophic misfire occurring but it can only occur to one person per unit per turn.
In my limited reading I have not read where units were decimated by their own muskets. You gentlemen clearly know the period better than I; am I missing something?

Cheers

Joe
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Joe,
......Dave knows me and when my dice rolling is rubbish it certainly is VERY rubbish. My town watch unit of 4 men rolled their 4xd6 and I rolled 1,1,1, and a 2....... And then rolled 1,1,1! :shock: the remaining town watch chappie very sensibly decided not to fire his musket again the remainder of the game!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and don't mention grenades to Toggy.....he had a nightmare today with them!!!!! :lol: :shock: :lol:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Post by Joe Legan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Gerry,

That is a truely amazing run a dice rolling. :oops: Remind me to never take you to Vegas. I guess I just don't want the dice to affect the outcomes of my games THAT much.

Cheers

Joe