Donnybrook for Napoleonics

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Donnybrook for Napoleonics

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I picked up a few of the Trent figures for the Wars of the Revolution at the Seven Years War convention (don't ask - the vast majority of my purchases were much later than the SYW), and I'm looking for a good bit of skirmish rules for them.

Would Donnybrook need any real changes to be used in the French Revolution skirmishing?
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
quindia
General
General

Re: Donnybrook for Napoleonics

Post by quindia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 pm

I've used these rules for lots of Napoleonic skirmish games. Obviously you will have to make up the factions (or just throw a pile of the models on the table like I do). Many of the characters could be imported without changes.

The only changes I use:

Muskets and Carbines are no longer move or fire weapons.

Rifles ARE move or fire weapons with a range of 30" and a +1 to hit...

You may need to think about more detailed formation rules, but this will get you started!
NurgleHH

Post by NurgleHH » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Hello,
as a newbie I have some question about the napolenic ideas:
1. Some troops of these era are missing in the century before (Currasier, light troops, guard). Who are the ideas for this troops?
2. Which list do you use for the spanish rebels?
3. I don't understand your addition. Can musket load or fire and rifle load and fire ?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I don't have army lists for the Napoleonic period. My Napoleonic games took place long before Donnybrook was put together. The lists evolved specifically for Donnybrook to give players guidelines on building forces for the LoA period. I normally just pile a bunch of models on the table to fit my scenario!

In general, I wouldn't differentiate between the cavalry types in the Napoleonic period beyond paying attention to the weapons and armor. Cuirassiers would normally have... err... cuirasses! Some cavalry might have carbines, depending on the nationality or theater.

If you want to use the army lists, outlaws might be a good start for Spanish guerrillas.

Muskets are no longer move or fire for the Napoleonic era. Rifles ARE move or fire, but if you want to add more detail and allow rifles to 'tap load' they can move and fire, but only have the range of muskets. All black powder weapons are still subject to the reload rules.
NurgleHH

Post by NurgleHH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:44 pm

quindia wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum!

Muskets are no longer move or fire for the Napoleonic era. Rifles ARE move or fire, but if you want to add more detail and allow rifles to 'tap load' they can move and fire, but only have the range of muskets. All black powder weapons are still subject to the reload rules.
Thanks for your fast reply. To make it more clear for me: Muskets can move and fire, but rifles not? Is it not the other way?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:55 pm

No. Rifles were slow to load properly, thus the move or fire penalty. I suppose you could allow them to move and fire on the first turn (when they are assumed to be loaded). At the end of the day, there are no 'official' rules for Donnybrook Napoleonics as yet so just do what seems best for your table!