Looking for suitable miniatures

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Elysium64

Looking for suitable miniatures

Post by Elysium64 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I have just bought and read the rule book and am looking forward to be able to play this. Thing is I am not sure of the best figures to buy, I have looked at the ranges from Warfare, Ebor and Front Rank but most of the figures seem to be designed for being in mass ranks not for a skirmish game, can anyone here suggest other suitable miniatures for the GNW/WSS I am particularly interested in character figures (priests, cultists, highwaymen and smugglers as well as dynamic officer figures), civilians (armed and unarmed), vignettes as well as scenery/carts/carriages etc.
There seems to be a lack of these available. Thanks for all your help
quindia
General
General

Re: Looking for suitable miniatures

Post by quindia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's actually a great idea to start a thread for links to suitable models for the period.

Secondly, many of the models in Donnybrook are Warfare Miniatures. Certainly the most obvious use of Warfare is for army factions, but with suitable paint jobs we've used them for militia, bandits, townsfolk, and even cultist rank and file.

That being said, I understand the desire for more dynamic characters and 'skirmishy' poses. We are hoping to address some of this in the future with Warfare and offer specific faction packs of characters, but Clib is rather busy with the GNW just now. Warfare has entire convoys of wagons now too!

Certainly Barry has raided all sorts of manufacturers for his collection and I'm sure he and others will be happy to chime in...

I'd say check out Wargames Foundry first... 18th century civilians, English Civil War, Marlburian, pirates, natives... They have loads of appropriate models.
Renooij
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Renooij » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Perry Miniatures, The Foundry Miniatures & Warfare offers some nice characters
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 am

Elysium64 wrote:I have just bought and read the rule book and am looking forward to be able to play this. Thing is I am not sure of the best figures to buy, I have looked at the ranges from Warfare, Ebor and Front Rank but most of the figures seem to be designed for being in mass ranks not for a skirmish game, can anyone here suggest other suitable miniatures for the GNW/WSS I am particularly interested in character figures (priests, cultists, highwaymen and smugglers as well as dynamic officer figures), civilians (armed and unarmed), vignettes as well as scenery/carts/carriages etc.
There seems to be a lack of these available. Thanks for all your help
The key to a good skirmish scale military unit is a variety of poses. For musket/fusil armed troops, this means you need loading, firing and defending poses, along with a variety of standing or kneeling poses. I personally don't like the marching pose for skirmish games, but I do like them for the big battle period.

I'd suggest looking a bit deeper into the Warfare and Front Rank Lines. Barry sells variety packs, where you have a variety of military poses, and that can work in a skirmish game rather well. Front Rank's Monmouth range is another good place to look. Many of his rebels will work well for armed civilians. They also sell their miniatures individually, so you can go through and pick what you like.

Dixon is a good place to start. They have a small collection of 28mm 17th/18th century civilians, which include Bokkenrijders and a tavern brawl set. They also have a 25mm Marlburian range which has some of the dynamic officer figures, variety of poses, and the ability to purchase individually.

Reaper does a lot of civilians for tavern scenes.

Warlord has their clubmen sets for ECW, which work well for armed and irritated civilians. They also have some preacher figures.

Many of the civilians and militia of the Seven Years War/French and Indian War can be used a bit earlier, since civilian fashion, especially on the frontier, did not differ as much over the 1700s as military fashion did.

I'd also look hard at some of the pirate ranges - their captain figures may work for the dynamic officer figure that you're looking for.

There's lots out there!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.