smugglers opponents

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Joe Legan
Private
Private

smugglers opponents

Post by Joe Legan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:51 am

As previously stated I know a great deal about WW II but much less about Black Powder. Am thinking of doing some smuggling along the coast of England with Donnybrook. Those folks I can figure out. What I don't know about would be their opponents. What type of force could the customs official have at his disposal? Would it be standing army, militia or just some of the townspeople drafted for the evening?

Thanks

Joe
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: smugglers opponents

Post by raif » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Joe Legan wrote:As previously stated I know a great deal about WW II but much less about Black Powder. Am thinking of doing some smuggling along the coast of England with Donnybrook. Those folks I can figure out. What I don't know about would be their opponents. What type of force could the customs official have at his disposal? Would it be standing army, militia or just some of the townspeople drafted for the evening?

Thanks

Joe
I would guess in militia?! Bit what fraction would you take for smugglers? Outlaws?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Smugglers would be Outlaws.

I think a Customs officer might have different forces available depending on the location. An urban area might well offer regulars for enforcement while militia might be more common in remote regions.

However, ANY faction might oppose a smuggler for different reasons... For example a cultist force might claim an area of coast where the smugglers operate as sacred (unholy)... Both groups would migrate toward desolate regions.

Also don't forget about rival Outlaws!
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Post by Joe Legan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you both; yes I was planning on using outlaws.
Clarence, good points-- particularly opposing Outlaws.

Thanks

Joe