Donnybrook with 15mm Miniatures

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Donnybrook with 15mm Miniatures

Post by raif » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 pm

hi guys,

has anyone tried a donnybrook game with 15mm figures? or is this no the way to play donnybrook?

if yes, you have played with 15mm figs - which manufactorer have you used?
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Donnybrook with 15mm Miniatures

Post by raif » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

no one have played donnybrook with 15mm? ok.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Raif, I generally prefer 25-30mm for skirmish games, but Donnybrook will work fine at 15-20mm, making adjustments to movement, ranges, etc (substituting cm for in is usually an acceptable convention).

If I was inclined to set up anything at this scale, I would probably use Blue Moon... They have soldiers from all periods plus pirates, civilians, mob (check out the Horror sets), natives, terrain, etc.

https://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/i ... ?cat_id=32

Hope that helps!
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

quindia wrote:Raif, I generally prefer 25-30mm for skirmish games, but Donnybrook will work fine at 15-20mm, making adjustments to movement, ranges, etc (substituting cm for in is usually an acceptable convention).

If I was inclined to set up anything at this scale, I would probably use Blue Moon... They have soldiers from all periods plus pirates, civilians, mob (check out the Horror sets), natives, terrain, etc.

https://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/i ... ?cat_id=32

Hope that helps!
hi clarence,

thanks for your feedback! i have mixed experiences with skirmish games and scales. for example saga i play only with 28mm but musket & tomahawks i play with 15mm and both works fine.

but the key fact, why i ask about the possibility to play donnybrook in 15mm are my troubles to find the right miniature ranges in 28mm. i live in austria and thought it would be a fine chance to try the ottoman/hungarians/habsburgs conflicts 1680+. but there are no manufactorers which have all ranges i am looking for.

there are nice ottomans-figures from TAG. But their German/Imperials are for 1650. Because of the scale of TAG (near 25mm and not 28mm) there is the problem to find the right opposite range. Perhaps dixie, but i have no idea if they are compatible.

because of this thoughts i was thinking about 15mm. here i have more options. :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:56 am

Raif,

for 28mm Austrian/Empire troops the Warfare figures will be very appropriate. Their are German Armoured cavalry suitable for 1680-1714 in helmet, tricorne, hat or bareheaded including 3 command packs. The infantry with apostles or with cartridge bag are perfect. The dragoons in hat will fit. Only mounted dragoons missing really.
These should fit fine with TAG figures for Ottomans in 28mm
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

barr7430 wrote:Raif,

for 28mm Austrian/Empire troops the Warfare figures will be very appropriate. Their are German Armoured cavalry suitable for 1680-1714 in helmet, tricorne, hat or bareheaded including 3 command packs. The infantry with apostles or with cartridge bag are perfect. The dragoons in hat will fit. Only mounted dragoons missing really.
These should fit fine with TAG figures for Ottomans in 28mm
Hm. I will give you a chance :D

Say. What are the differences between the infantry packs with apostles? The hats? I can't really see any variations on the images in the shop.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:45 pm

I have several reference books on Imperial uniforms of the period. I can see no appreciable differences with most other western European types except perhaps when you get down to the detail of pocket shape and no one caters for absolutely every variant of nationality. If it is 1680 era then the miniatures are right.. that was the whole point of the range!

With regard to the Apostle codes the difference is that every pack has a different head variant for each position for example:

8 different heads kneeling firing
8 different heads standing firing
8 different heads ready
8 different heads loading
8 different heads ready variant
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Joe Legan
Private
Private

Post by Joe Legan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:12 pm

I only play 15mm. I second blue moon as their figures are top notch. they are not really 15mm but 18mm. I have also used Eureka and even some peter pig figures. With peter pig I just use a thicker base to make up for the height.

joe