British Fusiliers

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
JMTS

British Fusiliers

Post by JMTS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:35 pm

I've just re-acquired a copy of the Quarrie/Airfix/Napoleonic Rules

In terms of British fire factors, Quarrie rates Fusilier Regiments on a higher factor than Line Infantry and on a par with Grenadier Companies and Light Infantry. When it comes to Mellee he rates them better than Line, Grenadier or Light and he gives them a higher moerale rating second only to Guard

It's the only set of rules I've ever come across that rated British Fusileer Batallions as anything but equivalent of Line. Equally in any reading about the British army in Napoleonic times, I'm not conscious of anything particularly relating to Fusiliers.

Can it be justified? Have I missed something?
Jeremy M.T. Sutcliffe
Wargaming for 30years +
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Jeremy,

Based on the action of the Fusilier Brigade at Albuhera, then there might be a case for such a rating. However, on balance, they were really just line infantry with a slightly better pedigree; possibly on a par with, say, a Highland Brigade (although, unlike the latter, they didn't wear their furry caps on campaign).

Some of Quarrie's rules - especially in the realm of national characteristics and troop gradings - are a bit dated now. I don't know of the Fusiliers performing badly at all, so perhaps go with what you feel on this one.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:45 pm

I personally have no data to either confirm/refute this grading although I remember reading it with curiosity when returning to my much thumbed Quarrie Napoleon's Campaign's in Miniature.
I think there is a case for upgrading Guards, Lights, Rifles. Although a Scot myself, I have never really understood rule writers insistance on positively discriminating in favour of Highland Regiments though :shock:
I would like to believe this is some recognition of martial prowess which of course is very gratifying but I never have understood what they are supposed to be better than English Regiments at!! Charging?? How much of that actually went on during the Napoleonic Wars relatively speaking??
If it is a 'national' characteristic then why have the Lowland Scottish Regiments been ignored? Surely such as the 1st, 21st, 25th, 26th (all older by at least 50 year than the Highland regiments) should be upgraded.
I suspect there is a bit of a myth built into this somewhere which has been perpetuated over the years.
As I know hundreds of Englishmen 8) (some who I even number amongst my closest friends :lol: ) I cannot see what would make them run away or stand any more than my next door neighbour :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:18 pm

On the subject of gaming and rules - "I know nothing" :roll:

On the subject of Highland Regiments - its the wail 'o' the pipes man - puts the fear 'o' death into the enemy - whoever and wherever they may be - sassanach's included in former times (and as a lowland Scot - myself included) Please take this with a tiny hint of sarcasm. :wink: :wink:

As to espirit d' corps, well there are many more better qualified than I to extol the prowess of the Scottish Regiments, be they Highland , or Lowland. :) (alas now just one "Royal Regiment" wi 6 Battalions) :cry:
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Highland regiments were always up for a "rammey" and after 1745. best place for them was overseas, kicking someone else's arse, rather than the English. Lowland regiments being more loyal to Englarrdlland were better employed, looking after said highland gentlemen crofts etc. above.
Hence historical the highland nutters get more mention in dispatchs than yon lowlander regimental gentlemen.

P.S this is a rather jaded one-sided view from a mad Scotsman, but I like it :lol: :lol: :lol:

M
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 am

I just knew some of rabid- Independence minded junkies would take the bait on my little tease :lol: :lol: ..
Trust the Tayside contingent to bite first!!! :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:36 am

We are always up for a bit of banter, hence Highlanders are better at charging etc.etc. We like a bit of agro, it must be in the blood :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rest my case. :wink:
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!