Battle of Hohenbrunn 15-16 October 1813 (22-23 Jan 2005)

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Barry

Battle of Hohenbrunn 15-16 October 1813 (22-23 Jan 2005)

Post by Barry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:02 am

The League of Gentlemen Wargamers latest mega bash....Full scenario on the site by the middle of this week(Warchest). More pics tomorrow! Full Napoleonic rules with latest amendments will be available as a one off distribution to subscribers by the beginning of february.
The game was a great success with much drama and just as much comedy!
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:07 am

Good news on the Napoleonic rules as well.

Can you give us a heads-up Barry on the unit sizes used in your Napoleonic games?

Nice also to see the picture of some Calpe figures in action. I have some of these myself. They are one of the best kept secrets in Napoleonic wargaming - a range of extraordinary variety and exacting attention to historical detail. Catalogue sheets are not just listings but informative on uniforms and so on. And the designer seems a very pleasant chap. All in all I encourage anyone jaded by the"same old Napoleonics" to give them a try. What with the Perry Dutch-Belgians there is a lot of new stuff appearing for the Napoleonic era - and Calpe will be doing French later this year.
Jonathan
Barry

Napoleonics

Post by Barry » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:01 am

We play tested the rules under extreme conditions at the weekend. 5,000 figures, 11 players and a table of 14 feet by 14 feet. We managed 36 turns over approximately 12 hours(two days) which I am informed by the more experienced Napoloeinic players was very good going indeed for the size of the game. The rules produced a few minor glitches many of which have been resolved already. I am waiting for written feedback from the other Umpire, the experienced and capable Mike Anderson. I had initially seen base sizes as irrelevant to rule mechanisms(which in fact they were) but I will now revise the section on basing and unit organisation as it has a direct impact on the musket fire table. The units fire in `stands' rather than figures. Casualties are inflicted in figures. A stand was originally designated as 6 or 8 figures(with modifiers for size and casualties). This worked well but needs a little fine tuning. Units were organised with the option of variable size from 18 to 36. This also worked well.

It will all be sorted and finalised within the next couple of weeks. I will update by a `post' the unit org and base sizes issue seperately.

cheers

Barry :)
Peter Nicholson

Unit sizes

Post by Peter Nicholson » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:15 am

Hi , I can give you details of my figures used in the game.
Russians
The Russian infantry in the game were all 24 figure or 30 figure battalions mounted 6 to a base on 60mm x 40mm bases. All Foundry or Front Rank figures with GMB flags.
My Russian cavalry were in 6 figure squadrons mounted either singly on 25mmx 50mm bases or doubled up on 50mmx 50mm bases. Foundry and Front Rank figures again. Barry's cossacks were in 8 man squadrons.
Artillery were generally four figures per gun mounted on 80mm x 80mm bases.

Austrians
My Austrians were based as per my Russians. All the figures bar the Grenzers and Landwehr were Foundry.
Austrian cavalry were in two six man squadrons per regiment, based as per my Russian cavalry.

French and other allied troops
All based as above. Generally 18 man infantry battalions, occasionally 24 figures.

Dale Smith supplied teh rest of the French . His base sizes were different but compatible. Generally larger unit sizes and slightly deeper bases.

Hope this helps

bets regards

Peter
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:17 pm

Gentlemen - very helpful.
Barry - when you say you will send out rules to subscribers - i assume you mean to those who have signed up for the Newsletter updates (?)

I did sign up though i don't think i got any kind of confirmation. Just want to be sure i don't miss any rules or other vital info!

JM
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Barry

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Yep, you did sign up Jonathan and you will get it!

CHEERS

Barry
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:54 pm

The scenario is now in the Warchest. Maps, orders, orbats and casualty record tables by unit.

A summary of our game will follow sometime soon!

cheers

B :wink:
Anonymous

Cossacks!

Post by Anonymous » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:58 am

Barry,

Great site! Keep up the good work and thanks to you and TLA-ers for the great job you do in promoting the hobby - NOT for competition, but for the love of painting, playing and history! :D

Do not change the rules regarding Cossacks charging formed cavalry! They did so numerous times and mauled the Polish on several occasions on the advance into Russia (for example).

Since their primary role for some time was fighting and maintaining the southern frontiers of Russia against the Turk and the Persians, they had a radically different style of warfare than the "Westerners". Also, the Cossack (in most all his various cultural/racial forms) believed that to survive a fight (to terrorize ones enemies later and to survive to care for one's family) was better than to die foolishly for empty "glory". But, if ordered to do so, they would charge with the ferocity of the finest Europe had to offer!

To reflect their style of warfare, have them take a test at a reduction (slight, say -1 - if your rules use that) if charging FRESH (in good morale, order and having taken no reduction in numbers) enemy from the FRONT. Otherwise they'd have no reduction.

They were good cavalry, contrary to what most Western authors (who understand/understood little of their lives and style of warfare) might write. Even Napoleon himself said they were the finest light cavalry in the world!

I hope this post encourages you to re-think the change mentioned!

Good Gaming!

Justin :-)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battle report

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:11 pm

The full battle report and four detailed maps are now finally uploaded into the Warchest - Scenarios section. I believe my journalistic interpretation of what happened to be accurate but I'm certain the commanders will let me know if they disagree !

Barry :wink:
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Battle report

Post by kiwipeterh » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:35 pm

barr7430 wrote:The full battle report and four detailed maps are now finally uploaded into the Warchest - Scenarios section. I believe my journalistic interpretation of what happened to be accurate but I'm certain the commanders will let me know if they disagree !

Barry :wink:
It may be an accurate report ... but not full and complete :shock:

What happened to the lone Prussian jager battalion that was chased into the trees early in the battle ? Curiosity has really got the better of me I'm afraid :roll:

BTW, great report, photos etc., and generally a great site.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

KEVIN CALDER'S PRUSSIAN JAGER

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:12 am

How observant you are Peter!!

The Jager made it to the woods and spend the whole of the first day skulking(as Jager probably do) and popping off at French Cavalry squadrons which strayed too close. I seem to remember them killing at least 5 casualties from various units but THINREDLINE on this use group would be able to tell you more as he was Kellerman and they were his cavalry being shot. The French passed them by as no infantry were appearing in the general vicinity. When the rains came at 1600, followed by the darkness, I diced for a steathily escape: The Jager slipped out of the woods and worked their way through the French forward positions(at that time in some dissaray). They found the remnant of their kameraden the 15th Infantry((ejected from Jugenheim) on the upper slopes of the Huegelkahl. They spent ALL of the 16th blazing away at Kellerman's cavalry and the II Corps infantry trying to knock them off the hill. The first shot in the picture gallery for the game actually shows where they finished up. They are out of shot to the left!

Hope that completes the picture. I'll never get that job at the BBC!

Barry :roll:
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Prussian Jagers

Post by thinredline » Mon May 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Kellerman here,

Basically, my orders were of a higher precedence than taking on this isolated band of bushwhackers.

My cavalry did suffer repeated skirmish fire from these devils, but my Horse Artillety replied with devastating effect at close range. That made them keep their heads down for a while. Thereafter, both parties observed a healthy respect for each other. They would occaisionally sally forth to the edge of the woodland, and lacking the infantry support to achieve their annihilation, my corps moved on to more the important matters of pushing south.

Isolated and cut off from their lines, they posed little serious threat.

Regards,

ThinRedLine
Anonymous

Prussian Jaegers

Post by Anonymous » Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 pm

My dear Kellerman, may I remind you that my brave Jaegers not only emptied many saddles with their deadly accurate rifle fire as your troops galloped harmlessly by but they also prevented the total destruction of the small contingent of Prussian cavalry. The cowardly deployment of your horse artillery in a vain attempt to dislodge my courageous lads from the woods proved to be no more than a mere inconvenience during which time they withdrew deeper into cover to take lunch.
Till we meet again
Schnapps.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed May 04, 2005 6:03 pm

My Dear Sir,

I did not deny my gallant cavalry suffered at the hands of your Jaegers.

Certainly the only opportunity one had was to meet fire with fire, unfortunately, as you say, you only had rifles!

But to hide in the woods and take shelter instead of rushing my guns - now that would have been courageous (even if a tad foolosh).

Might I suggest an even longer lunch break in future, and hence avoid any of your "boys" getting shot up by my artillery.

Kellerman.

P.S. DOES ONE HAVE SCHNAPPS AS AN APPERATIF, OR AN AFTER DINNER REFRESHMENT !

Looking forward to the next contre temps !

Bob
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed May 04, 2005 10:12 pm

Kellerman
If your gallant cavalry are as ineffectual as in our last encounter my Jaegers may well need to take a longer lunch break. Incidentally they say that in Berlin there is a great demand for french cuirassier helmets taken at Hohenbrunn, apparently they make excellent chamber pots!
regards
Schnapps