napoleonic rules for 1:10 ???

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

napoleonic rules for 1:10 ???

Post by janbruinen » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:36 am

Hello,
As next year is the 200th aniversary of the Tyrolean rebellion we thought of having a demogame in 15mm for a show about this theme. But the battles (?) were mostly on small (company) scale so " normal' rules aren't usable. So I was thinking about a 1:10 scale (eg. a french company with 2 bases of 6 figures, Bavarian 3 bases of 6 and Tyroleon mobs/companies with various bases of 4 to 6 figures).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

We have thought about using " normal" battalion rules and pretend each batt is a company, but I don't know if this is the way to go.
As an aside, as the rules will be used for a demogame, they have to be not very complex.

Greetings
Jan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:41 pm

Jan,

the rules I have just written for inclusion in the Victrix 28m plastics British Napoleonics would probably do the trick.

My brief was to produce a set of rules which would fit on 4 sides of A5 paper and provided a fast and fun game.

I have written them to produce a game for between 4 and 10 battalions a side which would play through in about 60-90 minutes.

Unfortunately, I cannot publicise them before the release of the figures!

These are completely independent from Republic to Empire and could probably be described as brigade level rules. They are not specific about figure to man ratios and can accommodate units between 12 and 60 figures based in whatever configuration you have.
The mechanism is alternate unit movement which seems to work pretty well.

That's about all I can tell you!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:03 am

Barry,
thanks. So the question remains: when will we see these rules?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:33 am

Victrix will make that call Jan!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Two alternatives:-

1) Depending on how you structure your units, you could possibly use the "Brother Against Brother" ACW rules - they are somewhat bloody, but have F&I/AWI/1812 amendments that would provide for the more flexible troop types you would be using. These are set at squad level, with players taking command of several squads making up a company, but you could translate these into "company" sized units under battalion-level command.

2) The new "Sharpe" rules (I forget the exact title) by the Two Fat Lardies might provide the right combination. I've not used these, but everyone I know who has likes them. I think they are based on 12-figure units with a leader.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I have recieved the pdf rules of tfl so I'm reading them at the moment. I'm not shure if they can cope with more troops than the 120 figures mentioned in the rules but we will see.
I don't know BAB but have searched the net. They could be usable so will dig further.

I also have looked at AWI rules. Some of them are 1:10 and have a lot of troop types (militia, light cavalry, line troops etc) plus some difficult passeble terrain (as Tyrol has) so I'm thinking of gooing that way.

again, thanks and greetings
jan
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:23 pm

jb,

If you're looking at AWI rules, try "British Grenadier" by Eclaireur, which cover 1:20 down to 1:10 (and in fact have been used successfully at 1:5 as well). The troop categories will cover the types you will be using, whilst the disruption points will reflect the difficulties of both sides in completing attacks against each other.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Ronan,
thanks, I have these but never thought of them, must be my ageing brain. I was on holiday so couldn't react earlier.
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

1:10 Rules

Post by Chad » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:17 pm

'Rockets Red Glare' might be OK. They are essentially for the War of 182, but have an option for a company level game.

Chad