Victrix Austrians

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victrix Austrians

Post by BP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Victrix now have more details of their plastic Austrians along with release dates and pictures.

Just what I need, another bunch of plastic to paint.... :)

http://www.victrixlimited.com/

Bill.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Re: Victrix Austrians

Post by toggy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes definitely picking some of these up at Claymore, hoping they bring out cavalry & artillery to support the plastics.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Very nice actually but, I still have a phobia about plastic. Their metal early Russians look tempting though.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

The plastics are the main reason I got into the period. Its such a cost efficient entry. 3 boxes of Victrix infantry and a few extras from Frontrank
rough cost about £80 gave me 6 battalions of infantry.

Off course I've added metals in the form of Portuguese infantry and cavalry and artillery from both Victrix and Frontrank, but having the meat of the division in plastic is a big cost saving.

And these Austrians seem to be easier to build, have similar poses so you dont need to get involved in resource planning to build each battalion.

Like Bob says though, I'll hold off until I see what other support is released for them

Bill.
33 Portuguese infantry to go.....
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Yep they look good to me,apparently less choice in pose though! I like the look of them but might have to invest in a shed load of white paint :?
The thought of painting hundreds of Austrians in white uniforms with white straps may lead to snow blindness :lol:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:21 am

The Landwehr uniform is more accurate for 1813-1814 than 1808. Things were a lot more variable in 1808. Either way, very useful, since many an Austrian regiment fielded their Landwehr battalion with the other three of the regiment.

It makes me a little sad my Napoleonics are 15mms . . .
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 am

Hello all.

I am new to this forum having been occupied with BLB. However the imminent release of Victrix Austrians (not to mention Perry green-ups for same), a recent meeting with an old gaming friend who is keen to do Napoleonics, & my love for the 1809 Austrian campaign all conspired to get me to dust off my copy of R2E.

My question is - what makers of metal figures best match or are compatible with Victrix in size, sculpting, etc in the opinions of the learned readers of this forum, please?

I also understand that the Perry plastic range match Victrix very well.

I ask this as I guess it will be a while before a full range of types will be available for the Austrians, especially cavalry, artillery & greatcoated landwehr in round hats?

Cheers, Rohan.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Rohan,
In my experience the Victrix plastics are a little bigger in build than perrys,but i do use both,however for a closer match Front Rank do the trick. No plastics from Front Rank as yet though. :wink:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 pm

dashing blade wrote:Hi Rohan,
In my experience the Victrix plastics are a little bigger in build than perrys,but i do use both,however for a closer match Front Rank do the trick. No plastics from Front Rank as yet though. :wink:
Many thanks for the advice - I thought the Perry plastics French hussar box should be fine for the Austrian Hussars - I'm sure one of the Shako variants will work - may need a bit of French detail carved off but will do fine.

I will use Front Rank for the less numerous units - artillery - they do a nice 6pdr cavalry gun with sausage trail box; also some nice Landwehr in overcoats & hats. I don't think FR will ever consider plastic :wink:

I do hope Victrix will do Hungarian Infantry, Grenadiers & Grenze though.

Cheers, Rohan