Battle of Schwarze Lackenau

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Battle of Schwarze Lackenau

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 am

I wonder if anyone, perhaps Gunter can help with my querie?

I have just been reading an article on Schwarze Lackenau 1809, an island on the Danube outside Vienna where the French first attempted to cross the river. The action itself was very interesting but even more so for me when I discovered that the Austrian counter attack was led by Major O'Brien from the 3rd battalion I.R.49 Kerpen, this gent eventually became the Colonel of the 2nd battalion. I have been trying to find out his christian name but so far have had no luck so I was wondering if anyone else knew his name. There is a monuement with a plaque to him on the island but the photo I have is too small to make out the name.

I would be grateful for any further info and look forward to the Victrix Austrians coming out so that I can paint up Kerpen's regiment.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Battle of Schwarze Lackenau

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 am

Just discovered he had been promoted to Brigade commander in 1815 but still no first name.
http://www.cgsc.edu/CARL/nafziger/815FBM.pdf
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 am

I THOUGHT YOU SAID HIS FIRST NAME WAS COLONEL 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:08 pm

barr7430 wrote:I THOUGHT YOU SAID HIS FIRST NAME WAS COLONEL 8)
Thanks for that helpful comment :roll:

Here are some of his exploits.
"During the Hiller’s southern retreat the Division Vincent was ordered to stop the French between Ergolding and Altdorf, close to the two important Landshut bridges. The 1st Battalion was committed on the left Isar bank with orders to cover the retreat, the other two Battalions went on the hills south of Landshut. The 3rd Battalion commander Major O’Brien opened the way with bayonets and saved part of his men marching with Jordis regiment and reaching his own at Vilsbiburg. The Landshut losses were: 34 dead, 122 wounded, 900 missing; many were prisoners. The regiment fought in the avant-garde at Neumarkt only with one company having 15 men wounded.

On May 2 Major O’Brien gathered 500 volunteers of the regiment and marched back towards Efferding, in order to hit the French on their rear front. They marched all the night under heavy rain but were forced to abandon the attempt, since the main French columns were too advanced. O’Brien then joined the Kerpen at Ebelsberg the next day. At Ebelsberg, Weissenwolf deployed his brigade behind some hills, close (800 m) to the road to Enns. The 1st Battalion and the 1st Deutschmeister were odered to watch the road on the left bank of the Traun, with an half artillery battery. When the large part of the Corps had passed (8 AM) the bridge the detachment was retreated on the right Traun’s bank. One company remained inside the town. The 2nd Battalion (Major von Bubna) and the 3rd (Major Baron Weweld) were deployed in line south of Ebelsberg. They engaged the French stopping their advance. The losses at Ebelsberg were: 42 dead, 166 wounded, 220 missing. At the battle’s end the brigade was ordered to grant the withdrawal of the Austrians and to watch the roads. The regiment was at St.Polten, where it learnt the DepotDivision had been transferred to Vienna (it will be taken prisoner). On May 11 the Kerpen reached Lang-Enzersdorf and the following day they fought at Schwarze Laken. The 1st Battalion and O’Brien formed the first line, the others the second. The Kerpen there lost: 65 dead and 296 wounded (they otherwise captured 370 Oudinot’s grenadiers and 15 officers, with a Chef-de-brigade, while around 300 other French went out of combat). O’Brien got command of the Schwarze-Laken island."

Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Dear "Chief"- O'Brien :D

I'll try to find out..I eventually contact a historian in the Austrian Army Museum.

I'll let you know

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Found it and more easier than I thought :D

Johann Freiherr von O'Brien
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:2008 ... ienna1.JPG

German text a shortcut through the regimental history:

http://books.google.at/books?id=-QthgtZ ... 09&f=false

Wikipedia (german)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_von_O%E2%80%99Brien

Hope that helps

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Fantastic stuff Gunter!!! :D
I knew I could depend on you. The resemblance is amazing :wink:
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I wonder what they've done with my uniform and medals? :wink:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Dave,

happy to be of service :D

But after rescent posts from your side on behalf of a not named English Gentleman I like to show to the others here the Dark Side of the "O'Briens" :twisted:

"Black Murrough the Burner O'Brien: the first Earl of Inchiquin, who changed sides four times and his religion twice during the English Civil War. Infamous for his burning of Cashel and blamed for the massacres of the defenders. Went into exile and became governor of Catalonia before returning home to his restored Munster estates. His tomb in St Marys Cathedral is empty as his body was removed and thrown in the Shannon on the night of his funeral"

More of the O'Briens on their website :roll:

http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/cla ... briens.htm

Best Wishes

Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Ssschh!!!! were trying to keep quiet about that one. :oops:
I'm never going to hear the end of this from Barry. :roll:

This one is far more interesting
"Charles O'Brien: the 5th Viscount Clare followed James II to France after the Williamate War and gave his name to a regiment in the French service."

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:32 pm

The family seem to had a bit of reputation for burning things. :oops:

"Kilfenora Abbey dates back to the 11th century when a monastery was founded here by St Fachtna. It first mentioned in 1055AD when it was burned by the O'Brien's, the ruling clan of Clare."

I wonder if I'm related to Dale Smith?
Sorry guys, that's a little joke between the LOGW.
Cheers
Dave