British officers in Portuguese brigades

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

British officers in Portuguese brigades

Post by BP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Just a quick question.

The Portuguese I'm doing for the next couple of brigades are commanded by British officers. Did they wear British uniform or were they issued with Portuguese uniform? Or was it a bit of a mish mash and whatever they could get away with?

I have read several different takes on it. Beresford was apparently a bit of a stickler for these things but then promptly ignored it when he was on campaign, and his own ADC wore his British dragoon uniform for several years when he was supposed to wear Portuguese uniform.
As D'urban was seconded for a good few years, setting up the Portuguese PMG, I'd assume he had Portuguese uniform, but I'm leaning to British uniform with maybe a Portuguese ADC to represent the next Brigade command model.

Bill.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: British officers in Portuguese brigades

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

It depends. Are they a Portuguese General of British origin commanding a brigade, or a British General commanding a Portuguese brigade at the discretion of Wellington?

I ask, because it appears that several British generals commanded Portuguese brigades without actually being in the Portuguese army, much the way Frenchmen commanded German units without entering the service of that nation.

The best way to decide is to go to the Napoleon Series. Go to the Research section and select British Generals of the Napoleonic Wars. (I can't hot link you).

I did some spot checking, and it does note on a general's bio who entered Portuguese service (like Archibald Campbell). Where it does not say so (such as Denis Pack), I would assume they remained in the British Army. If you're not sure, go to the Discussion board and ask!

Once you find out whether they entered the Portuguese Army, paint accordingly :-)
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Rob,

Thanks for the response. The general I had in mind is Manley Power, looks like he only commanded Portuguese brigades, wasnt actually in the Portuguese army. He was a colonel at the time of Salamanca, so i'll paint up the spare victrix colonel I have and add a Portuguese ADC.

Thanks again. And it looks like I'll be spending more time than is healthy on that website! :shock:

Bill
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 pm

João Centeno in British Officers Serving as General Officers in the Portuguese Army, also at the Napoleon Series, lists the following dates of rank for Manley Power:

Brigadeiro: 5 August, 1811
Marechal de Campo: 4 June, 1813

Ron McGuigan lists him as in Portuguese service 1811-1814, before going to North America to command a brigade in Canada.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.