How many figures to a base ?

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Keith T
Private First Class
Private First Class

How many figures to a base ?

Post by Keith T » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi All
I am aiming to do my Austrian army for the 1809 campaign, 6 coys per battalion.
Their are a mixture of regement strengths from 24 figures to 36/42,
as their are 6 bases[1 per company] 4 or 6 figures per base look ok , but odd numbers 5 or 7 per base I am not sure this would look right.
I am useing 40x40mm for 4 figs, 60x40mm for 6 figs.
Any sujestions please.
Keith
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: How many figures to a base ?

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Do you play other rule sets, or will RtE be your only set?

The cardinal rule of basing is cross-rule applicability. Some rule sets, like RtE are rather forgiving about various basings. Others (Napoleon's Battles comes to mind) are pretty ironclad.

I generally build my battalions to the biggest they've ever been, so 48 figures (6 companies, 8 figs per company) can always be sized down to 36, or 24, or whatever. I also put 4 to a base, at least for the Austrians. Since they don't have company distinctions, it will look right, no matter what.

For odd sizes (5 per company, 7 per company, etc) you've got LOTS of options. Instead of 4 to a stand, you could do three (say two privates and an officer doing something officery for the whole depth). Conversely, you could do five to a stand instead of six, with similar vignette options.

Basically I'd advise you to paint up the figs, then play around with arranging them on a 40x40 until you find something you like. Then glue 'em down.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 am

Keith,

One of the most forgiving aspects of Republic to Empire is the use of a roster. You can have a battalion of 24 figures on the table top marked on a roster as having 23 figures representing 460 men.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Keith T
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Keith T » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks lads
I will be playing RtoE,Blackpowder and March of Eagles, so all figures will be on company size bases.

I was at the Derby show yesterday and saw 5 figures on a base 3 rear & 2 front rank, it looked ok.

I was thinking of haveing different sized battalions to reflect some units below strength and others near full strength, but maybe I should faver the larger sized units ?

I like the idea of company bases for ease of movement, protect figures from damage and can make the base more interesting with grass rocks etc.

Keith