Girandoni air rifles

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Girandoni air rifles

Post by azeroth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 am

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me (in this period that is everyone), have any information on the Austrian use of this weapon in action? Also I was informed that the Austrians may have been supplied with the baker rifle, but not sure if that was my friend winding me up or not.

Yes Austrians are my new army project :(

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give on this

IanB
A moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole
It does not look likely to stir a man's soul
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth eaten rag
When the pole was a staff and the rag was a flag.

E Hamley
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Girandoni air rifles

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:05 pm

azeroth wrote:Does anyone more knowledgeable than me (in this period that is everyone), have any information on the Austrian use of this weapon in action? Also I was informed that the Austrians may have been supplied with the baker rifle, but not sure if that was my friend winding me up or not.

Yes Austrians are my new army project :(

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give on this

IanB
IanB,

I take it you know the following website

http://www.beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm

There you will find the following lines:

The last order given by the (Austrian)Emperor prior to his death was “to select the most promising and skilful soldiers to use these guns.” Because of extensive service work, and most importantly, the lack of Emperor Joseph’s interest and involvement, the airguns still had not been issued on December 16, 1792. However, the Tyrol Sharp Shooter Corps indicated “that these weapons were really accurate and effective” in the Turkish War and in 1790 against Prussia. (Contrary to many accounts, they never saw service against any of Napoleon's troops.)

As far as my knowledge goes were Baker Rifles not used by the Austrian Jaegers. The invented their own "Stutzen"/Rifle 1807 and supplied most of the Jaeger units and partially Tyrolean Jaegers/Grenzers with it.

Hope that helps

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Thank you Gunter, i was aware of that website, but conversely there are many reports on the web of Napoleon issuing orders that anyone found with one of these weapons was to be executed on the spot.

Probably another urban myth that has emerged to embelish this weapons reputation.

Thank you for the help, I will continue digging lol

IanB

E Hamley
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

azeroth wrote:Thank you Gunter, i was aware of that website, but conversely there are many reports on the web of Napoleon issuing orders that anyone found with one of these weapons was to be executed on the spot.

Probably another urban myth that has emerged to embelish this weapons reputation.

Thank you for the help, I will continue digging lol

IanB
Ian,

On my last holiday trip to Saxony two weeks ago I saw a similiar weapon of Saxon origin but another style. I think it was from the Suhler Manufactory but could be older.

http://www.kommando-adlerhorst.de/images/home_1_02.png

The reason for the Order by Napoleon could have resulted from the frequent use by the tyrolyans, against the bavarian occupation 1806 and 1809, who may have used earlier to the Tyrol Jaegers delivered Air Rifles.

Happy digging :D

Günter
P.S.: Do you intend to raise an Austrian Army in Paintball Gear? :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Hmmm paintball gear, not sure victrix make them but i could convert a few with GW imperial guard headgear and face masks lol.

I am however finding this talk of air weapons fascinating, and had no idea about the Tyroleans using them so you may well be correct there

Ian

E Hamley