French oob

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Whiskey2000

French oob

Post by Whiskey2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:10 am

Hi all, just starting to put a French army together and was wondering where I would get a good site for historical numbers for a French corps for me to put together, so I know how big to make my units round about Leipzig.

Paul
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: French oob

Post by Greystreak » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 am

If it's on-line resources you're looking for, versus books, try: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Frenc ... PZIG_1.htm . Note that this site does not offer detail at the level of 'number of men per battalion/squadron/battery'.
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Paul,

First of all I want to welcome you to the forum :D. Ask and there will be many answers from all corners of the world :wink:

As a start you may visit the Nafziger Collection

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/nafziger.htm

Much depends on the time and the geographical area you are interested.
If Leipzig is yours you will have Corps in size of Divisions and Battalions with less then 300 men. If its that what you are looking for...there you are.

I once tried myself on the german campaign of 1813 and focused on Ney's III.Corps, which was one of the largest of this Army 30-40.000 men and over 100 guns. Btw., I did this in 15mm but my interest dried out after the 3 of 5 Divisions. Now the minis have found their final resting place. But that is another story :)

Hope that helps

Happy New Year

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Whiskey2000

Post by Whiskey2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for that guys, I am not sure how to go about getting the right models per unit for some the French corps, not used to all this historical background checking. Anyone done a French corps historically that I can steal :P
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry, but the site has moved! The Right one for the Nafziger Collection of OOB's is now:

http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/cac2 ... fziger.htm

to find your OOB pick a code from the following

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... 11/id/1277

But the site seem not to be ready to receive requests... :roll:

After all it is still a question what you want to do?
If you like to play one day with your french corps it will be an epic effort :shock: to raise it. Such a corps can be between 10.000 and 30.000 men. Play after RtE - Republic to Empire, Barry Hilton's most famed Napoleonic Rules, you would use a 1:20 figure ratio. That would give quite a large amount of lead :shock: of about 500 to 1500 figures.

But thats up to you.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Whiskey2000

Post by Whiskey2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:16 pm

What is the typical size of army most people play in a one day game?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:05 pm

depends how many players in a game Paul and also what rules yu are using. A full day game with 1 player per side I would say a couple of Divisions with cavalry support or a small Corps.. translate that into units:
18-24 battalions and 4-6 cavalry regiments and a couple of batteries but that is BIG.

A more manageable game might be a Division of 8-12 battalions plus a gun battery and a cavalry brigade.

If you use 1:20 ratio and allow for attrition then French battalions would be between 20 and 30 models strong. Go for 24 model units, roster them as 30 or anything between 22 and 32 and you'll be fine,
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Whiskey2000

Post by Whiskey2000 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Barry it is your RTE rules i have , not played them yet, just trying to motivate myself to pick up a paint brush :) . I need to get to one of your 1 day games that will help get me going. Bill Patterson was showing me some pics of his Brits and that has helped get ma French at least sitting on my paint table. I will go for 24 man units then. when is the next game day in sunny scotland?

cheers Paul