Another 1806 Saxon question

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Another 1806 Saxon question

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 am

I keep reading that part of what the Saxons sent along with the Prussians was the one Hussar unit of 8 squadrons but I have yet to find that unit or sections of it in any OOB. Can someone shed some light on where this unit was deployed during the campaign?
Greg
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Another 1806 Saxon question

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed May 02, 2012 12:45 am

Undoubtedly a question for Günter, but I remember trying to chase down this unit when I did the research for Eureka's 18mm range of 1806 Saxons many years ago.

I know that at the time of Jena - Auerstaedt they were split - five squadrons were based in Liebstadt and saw no action, while the remaining three squadrons were attached to "Brigade Dyherrn" a largely Saxon formation placed towards the rear at Jena, which (according to Hofschroer) later "plugged the gap" between the 1st and 2nd Prussian Divisions.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Another 1806 Saxon question

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 am

18th Century Guy wrote:I keep reading that part of what the Saxons sent along with the Prussians was the one Hussar unit of 8 squadrons but I have yet to find that unit or sections of it in any OOB. Can someone shed some light on where this unit was deployed during the campaign?
The Hussar Regiment was a 8 Squadron formation, raised 1791, 1072men strong, 134 men in each Squadron.
Oct., 10th 1806 it was with the Avant-Garde,
Light Troops GM Schimmelpfennig
Saxon Light Brigade:
I-VIII Squadron Saxon Hussar Regiment

Hope that helps
If further Informations are needed please ask

Günter
Attachments
Sachsen1811Corps8b.jpg
Sachsen1811Corps8b.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.