Raising an Army

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Raising an Army

Post by Phil69 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 am

Gents

Will be test painting my first sample 28s over the next few weeks.

Have been thinking about my French units as to go for 24 or 36 and how best to base them for rte. as will either need to have 4 or 6 grenadiers and volts. Have just got my copy of the rules and not yet read them so apologies if answer is obvious.

Cheers

Phil
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Raising an Army

Post by Phil69 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Gents

Will have a go at re phrasing the question.

Will be basing my French in groups of 4, will it make any game difference to have 2 Gren and 2 fusiliers on the base.

Cheers

Phil
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Phil69 wrote:Gents

Will have a go at re phrasing the question.

Will be basing my French in groups of 4, will it make any game difference to have 2 Gren and 2 fusiliers on the base.

Cheers

Phil
Phil,

I had the honor and priviledge to be part of the DERBY Napoleonic Weekender and had french troops under my command. Sofar as I noticed it there has been only Grenadiers in the units and the Voltigeurs were only on the table when used as skirmishers who were called out. Therefore I would say that you can use a 4 - 6 figure base or whatever you like because the figures are not used as companies but as 4 figure Combat groups. If a combat group matches with a company strenght then this is only by accident.
Take my Saxons as a sample: They are formed as a 36 Figure Unit representing a 40 figure Battalion of 800 men and are based as 6 x 6. When formed in a battle formation they are 4 ranks deep. That matches with the original formation.

Hope that helps

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for that Gunther much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi

Further to this in an average British reg of 30 figures how many flank companies do people use?

Cheers

Phil
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I put 4 light and 4 grenadier in every battalion. Apparently the light and grenadier companies were kept more up to strength than the centre companies.

Bill.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks for that Bill. Am I right in thinking Brit regs have two standard bearers one for the union flag the other for the regt standard?

Cheers

Phil
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am

Yes, they had 2 colours, the Kings colour and the regimental colour.
The Kings colour is the union flag and should always be on the right hand side of the unit if looking from behind the unit.

Bill
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks Bill much appreciated.

Phil
Rod MacArthur

Post by Rod MacArthur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

BP wrote:Yes, they had 2 colours, the Kings colour and the regimental colour.
The Kings colour is the union flag and should always be on the right hand side of the unit if looking from behind the unit.

Bill
Unless they were Foot Guards, in which case the King's Colour (on the right) was crimson and the Regimental Colour was the Union Flag (on the left), and it still is today.

Rod
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Evening Gents

Thought i'd post some wip photos of my first two Napleonics and would be grateful for any feedback. Have just put in the order with front rank for my first British Bn and really looking forward to painting them.

Any feedback would be welcome good bad or indifferent as looking to learn how to paint a good standard of 28 mm figures.

Cheers

Phil

Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 am

My first finished British Infantry man (foundry) and just recevied the first Bn through the post so good to go.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers

Phil

Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:25 am

I think you've done a good job. Apply the same care to the bases that you do to the figures and you'll have a nice looking battalion.

Do you highlight? That would be my only suggestion to improve. The backpack, greatcoat and trousers would pop with a highlight, though it may be the camera. I like the red you've got for your coat. The lace is also a nice touch.

On your WIP Frenchman, if you can paint the piping on his lapels, collar, cuffs and turnbacks, he'll really pop. I don't know if your blue was the final blue, but if so, it was a bit dark.

Otherwise, practice and work, hard, on the bases. A good base makes even a poorly painted miniature shine. A bad base makes the best miniatures look worse.

Can't wait to see the rest!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 am

Rob

Thanks for the feedback and the words of encouragement. Think it may well be the camera as have highlighted backpack etc.

The Frenchie is still wip but will have some finished photos soon.

Thanks again.

Phil
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

My first completed French man (aside form doing his baynet which missed before taking the photo).

Any feedback would be welcome

Cheers

Phil