All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Russian Dragoon's (dismounted)

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 am

To Dave and Brice, or any other 'Russian' out there :wink:

a question has occured:
What size would a typical Russian Dragoon Regiment have and what when getting dismounted?

Thanks for any help
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Russian Dragoon's (dismounted)

Post by Greystreak » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 am

As you have not placed any time 'boundaries' on your request, I guess we have to cover the whole period. The following information is summarized from Zhmodikov, Alexander, and Zhmodikov, Yurii. Tactics of the Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars, Vols. I-II; Nafziger, 2003.

1796: Dragoon regiments were organised in 10 companies, 2 companies in each of 5 squadrons, each dragoon squadron consisting of 7 officers, 2 trumpeters, fourteen NCOs, and 186 dragoons (theoretical establishment total of 209). Some dragoon regiments were made up of 10 squadrons (rather than 5) at this time. When dismounted, 3 men from each rank in a squadron were detailed to hold the horses, so 6 men per squadron were horse-holders. (Squadrons were always formed in 2 ranks, never 3.)

1802: Formally regiments were composed of 5 squadrons: one general, forty officers, 70 NCOs, 17 trumpeters, and 700 dragoons (828 total). From 1803, each heavy cavalry regiment was to have one half-squadron as a ‘reserve’ squadron, in addition. No details on ‘dismounted’ provided, so I would assume the same situation as per the 1796 regulations.

1810: New regulations from Alexander I abolished the ‘reserve’ half-squadrons, and instead incorporated them into the 5 squadron model of 1 ‘reserve squadron’ and 4 field squadrons on active service. Total manpower was 44 Officers, including 1 x general in each Dragoon regiment, along with 15 NCOs, 3 trumpeters, and 148 privates per squadron. (Thus in the field, in 4 squadrons, an authorised total of 708.) No specific details of horse-holders are mentioned, as dismounted combat increasingly fell into disfavour, and most skirmishing was performed while ‘mounted’.

1812: At the end of the 1812 campaign, dragoons—like all Russian cavalry--were reorganized to the 6 field squadron model, plus 1 reserve squadron (7 total squadrons). Each regiment was therefore now to comprise: 55 officers, 22 trumpeters, 126 NCOs, 1,260 privates (oddly enough equivalent to 209 per squadron, much like 1796). The reality of the 1813-14 campaigns however, meant that regiments typically comprised only 4 or even 3 squadrons whilst in the field.

So, not much detail specific to your request, but it's what I have to hand. :roll:
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Russian Dragoon's (dismounted)

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:37 am

Thank You Bryce,

for all this informations; sorry I didn't state a year as it is of course vital. It is for Tormassov's Troops 1812 who fought against the Saxon's and Austrian's and as you will see in my 'Diary' the report of a Dragoon Regiment attack on Foot.
More of it (tomorrow)on July 27th, 1812, at the Battle of Kobryn.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.