5te Schlesische Landwehr Kavallerie (Calpe | 28mm)

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

5te Schlesische Landwehr Kavallerie (Calpe | 28mm)

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Finished the latest unit for my current Napoleonics project, the 5th Silesian Landwehr cavalry. Happy that this is the last Silesian unit for it... I was getting sick of all the yellow! Minis are Calpe with the exception of the casualty being jumped over:

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... avallerie/

Enjoy,

Burkhard

And the usual pre-view (with more on the blog):

Please excuse the slightly glossy look. I use a varnish that dries best with UV light and the weather was just too poor for that the past few days, but they will turn a falt finish in a couple of weeks.
Matt 1805
Private
Private

Re: 5te Schlesische Landwehr Kavallerie (Calpe | 28mm)

Post by Matt 1805 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:31 am

These look really nice, I like the dynamism in the poses. I am curious about the varnish you are using, what type is it? I am getting a bit frustrated with finding a good matt varnish. I prefer to brush on but the model colour one I use isnt quite matt enough. I have also tried Testors, which is a spray, but I am not particualrly impressed with the results.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 am

Thank you Matt.

I use a varnish from a company called Duplicolor which is widely available in DIY stores here in Germany (not sure about the ROW though). It dries in a very robust coat and is perfectly flat. If you are able to place it in direct sunlight on a nice summers day it dries within an hour. If you can just let it dry indoors (during fall or winter) it takes around four hours to be dry to the touch and fourntomeight weeks to turn flat.
Matt 1805
Private
Private

Post by Matt 1805 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I know the brand so I'll look out for some. All I need now is some warm sunny weather in the north of Scotland - sigh......
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:01 am

Burkhard,

Sorry to react that late :roll: but as all know I dont 'like' Prussians :wink: even when they are painted and based so lovely :D
That must be because of my Austrian/Saxon ancestors :oops:

Anyway, well done!

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 pm

@ Matt: The way we got to know Scotland, that should not be a problem. Even if it is raining it will be sunny in five minutes! :lol:

@Günter: Maybe that is why I like Prussians. Only Prussian (and Westphalian which is as good from 1814 on) ancestors! :wink: Thanks for the nice comments as well!