28mm Royal Artillery figures

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:15 pm

The proof of the pudding as they say:!:

Perry boys arrived today, bulkier and taller (significantly so that I would not mix them with the old Foundry), but more of a match with Front Rank

The Foundry, whilst anatomically better than Redoubt were comparable in height, and the Redoubt Guns are splendid compared to Perry's Guns.

Having alrady bought Redoubt English Civil War and Trojan War figures I was always under the false impression that Redoubt were heads higher than the rest of the market - WRONG :oops: :oops: The Redoubt Napoleonics sit alongside Foundry, even if they are a bit on the skinny side. As I said, their artillery pieces are impressive. 8)

I would suppose that when it comes to making comparisions, it is quite difficult to be subjective and accurate. One manufacturer may use different sculptors over the number of years that a range is initially launched and subsequetly added to. One range may differ considerably from another by the same maufacturer, and at the end of the day "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I would suggest that the same applies to us Larry Leadheads when comparing figures and sculpting :wink:

What was more of a surpise was Redoubts Russian 19th Century Range, some nice sculpting lying somewere between Copplestone and Foundry in the height stakes, and they had Russian Sailors (on shore leave wi rifles) - Lots more grit to the mill for my Crimean collection.

I am reasonably pleased with my purchases, even if there are differences in stature, I'll disguise it with raising the bases and quarantining any remaining differences in seperate batteries

Thinredline -
whose wallet is now lighter,
but whose barracks are substantially fuller
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:14 am

thinredline wrote:
Perry boys arrived today, bulkier and taller (significantly so that I would not mix them with the old Foundry), but more of a match with Front Rank
I had the impression that the Perry models were small... more like the LOTR range. If they look good with Frontrank, I might have to get a couple hundred...
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:31 am

Certainly, the Perry French Arillerymen stand on average at least "half a shako" taller than their Foundry counterparts. roughly 3 - 4mm, and thats looking at figures standing in an erect posture. Perry are not as quite as "bulky" as Front Rank, but I still forsee some more acquisitions from FR to compliment my Perry Artillerymen regardless.

As I have previously stated, I think the question of size can to an extent be subjective, and personally, I would buy on a smaller volume and satisfy
my own requirement before purchasing en-masse.

All nice figures though :!: and looking forward to the painting. From my previous remarks, I have found Perry and Foundry more difficult to paint but the finished results justify the time. And, I take note and appreciate Peter's comments - back to the painting Peter, looking forward to November :D

Thinredline

PS - Did the French have lots of cavalry at Waterloo ? :wink: :wink:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:08 am

I think the answer to that question Bob is

'clearly not enough!' :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:51 am

Turn it on its head Sir,
just too many damned British squares to break

Thinredline
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:09 am

If it weren't for those meddling Prussians... :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 am

Well Clarence I have heard a few mutterings about Adrian & Kevin (the Scottish Prussians) from Bob 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:07 pm

I can recall quite vividly, the actions of the Cavalry command
at Hohenbrunn, Flussgarten and on Bastille Day.
The Prussians as ever, were a thorn in the side,
At Hohenbrunn we fought them and the Austrians to a standstill,
At Flussgarten, those Prussians who did not flee, or surrender - died
and on Bastille Day, it took the aide of the Russian Imperial Army
attacking my flank to put my boys on the defensive ; but they still held :twisted:
and as for that little twerp "Schnapps 8)
a quite definite pain in the **** :shock:
(that's intended as a compliment Kevin :wink: )
If the Prussians are "late", god help "The Iron Duke"

Took that one hook, line and sinker "B", and
can't wait to hear from the good "Colonel Schnapps"

Thinredline